Now that you've gone iPhone, could you go back?

H

Hayesimus

State what you had before the iPhone and whether you could go back...

I had my KRZR. Its the only motorola I've ever given the time of day to. As far as just looks go, I could deal with it again. It was small, slim, and sleek. I cannot however deal with such a small screen and actual buttons anymore. Nope, alas, I'm stuck with the iPhones from now on. You?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I had a Cingular 2125, and to be honest, I could go back for a day or two if I had to. It wasn't a bad phone. I had Google Maps, Opera Mini, NES emulator, 4 gigs of media, voice command. Not too shabby really. Plus my BT GPS actually worked with that version of Maps, so I still keep them in my glove box in times of emergency.

But no, I could not go back to that screen/web experience permanently.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Motorola Razr V3m from Verizon

supposedly the "m" stood for Music, but it was nowhere near a decent music device... the music was all far too expensive, it didn't have a quality method of listening to it, the V-cast network was too expensive for not enough entertainment, and the web access was just laughable. The phone would run out of memory before finishing loading any page worth looking at.

The original revision I had could RECORD something and then I could play or use that as an alarm/ringtone/whatever I wanted... but when I had to have the phone replaced due to the charger socket no longer working, the updated revision I had no longer allowed me to do either of those things. CDMA = bad battery life. There was absolutely no value in the phone for me with all those things considered. I would not go back to it for any reason.

H

Hayesimus

Yeah. I haven't met a person yet that liked their Razr. It is apparently the most popular let down. I couldn't get past the looks of it. Its just so cheap looking.

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah. I haven't met a person yet that liked their Razr. It is apparently the most popular let down. I couldn't get past the looks of it. Its just so cheap looking.
Count me in that group. How/why was that thing so popular?

I could go back to a Blackberry or a Q if i had to but i'd definitely prefer not to.

H

Hayesimus

yeah i've also heard some pretty negative things about the Q but the blackberries seem to have a pretty reliable rep.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I was more than happy to toss my Verizon XV6700 in favor of my work-supplied Blackberry. Now, my work-supplied Blackberry is tossed in my backpack, and all calls and outlook emails forwarded to my iPhone :).

H

Hayesimus

I really think I'm hooked on iPhone. There would have to be something TREMENDOUSLY better for me to switch now.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i had a treo 680 - total POS. i can go back to another phone for a little while (i have an old nokia 6620 i've used while snowboarding), but it's painful and i'd rather not do it unless i have to. ;)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I could see myself going back to an HTC Tilt, if I had had one before I had the iPhone...only long enough for them to introduce tethering to the iPhone

(while I was in an AT&T store getting my iPhone's SIM card swapped, I had to activate it on the internet, and so to do that, the customer service tech had to tether my computer to his HTC Tilt so that I could connect to the internet and get iTunes to turn on my iPhone...so ironic...)

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I turned off my Blackberry and went "cold turkey" with the iPhone for about 3 months. Then last month, I re-instated my Blackberry service and got a new Pearl just for the size.

For corporate email, the iPhone is still worst-in-class IMHO. I'd rank it far below Blackberry and even most Windows Mobile devices. For non-corporate email, it's OK but still pretty sub-par considering it won't let you respond to emails offline.

And for the record...I think even the basic phone features of the iPhone are still quite inferior to what I get out of my Blackberry or most other phones. Slick interface, but utterly useless if it lacks key functionality.

So for now...I'm back to carrying two phones.

H

Hayesimus

I don't email. So, there is that...

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The last phone I used was a 6700 PDA phone with Sprint. I do not miss it locking up all the time. Missing calls because the phone froze but you didn't know until the following day when you went to check your mail and nothing responded. Reboot again. I love the iPhone but when it comes to corporate (exchange) email, it is seriously lacking in any kind of businesss level functionality.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
the last phone that i had was my bb it was ok .. email was super fast and cool... oh and i had a treo 650 with some program that let me watch movies... but once i got the iPhone.... it is the BEST phone for me... even the email... the only thing that i miss is editing MS WORD docs and emailing them back..

lensam

Bronze
Mar 8, 2008
Bridgeport, CT
Well, hopefully the new software will include that plus the opening of attatchments too. Ive had almost every Nextel sold except for the bricks and I do miss the Direct Connect but I think that is startin to die out now since Sprint took over, they promised better service by combining towers but I think it had gotten worse. As for the iPhone? Unless something like it comes out that is better, its stuck with me. I am very happy

alex2539

May 28, 2008
Decided to try the Vu...

Ive had the iPhone since iDay and i started feeling a little bored with it... So i decided to try out the LG Vu... TV feature was cool, but I now know that the iPhone has spoiled me, and i cannot go without it...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I had the Cingular 8525. In terms of functionality, it kills the iPhone with its' eyes closed. But the Windoze GUI is terrible compared to the iPhone.

I still have the AT&T Tilt (for work). It's years ahead of the iPhone, but once again, the Windoze GUI lets it down.