Now What?

erhalt1

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
Ok we stood in line, or waited for our iPhones to be delivered, now the are locking up, timing out, losing signal, turning themselves on and off.............. Now What? Does anyone know what the process is to return the iPhone 3g for another one. Is it an exchange, or do we have to wait 5 years for a new one to arrive.

Any help would be helpful.

Eric:sick:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
yes i agree a simple update should be able to clear out these bugs

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
If you must return, the process is simple. Apple stores have warranty exchange (service) stock available. They are all bran new phones and if it's justifiable, they swap out on the spot.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
We are all waiting for the updates. It should fix most of the symptoms you hear of. ]

The severity of symptoms vary slightly from user to user, but we all have complications that are minor annoyances. Hang tight, a patch is on the way.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
If you must return, the process is simple. Apple stores have warranty exchange (service) stock available. They are all bran new phones and if it's justifiable, they swap out on the spot.
I would suggest just waiting. One poster experienced receiving a refurbed phone declared as "new."
If your phone truly is unworkable, then it's up to you...

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Exchaning it might be risky...whenI exchanged mine due to a cosmetic issue, I also reported some of the lag issues, and software crashes....those are all software problems, and need to be addressed with a patch was the common response form Apple reps (others around me tried to get new 3Gs due to lag, but Apple wasn't going to replace due to those issues). But, if it hinders you to the point you can not use you 3G, I say make an appointment with the Apple genius bar online, and take it back for a new one.

Now, they do have a 2 week return policy....so if it is within the 2 week period, i think you are fine in getting a new 3G.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
yes. One thing that popped in my mind: iPhone users tend to say "it will be addressed in a software update." It was said about copy past and a whole bunch of issues.
What if...it doesn't come! GASP. That would be a nightmare!

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
man, so many people have SO many problems with their phones...

maybe im just really lucky? but i barely ever get crashes, my phone has never turned itself off? my signal is GREAT everywhere i go (except sometimes in the warehouse at work i will lose signal, but only in the "tornado shelter" area), my screen was never yellow, and my battery life is great considering the use of the phone.

the only problem ive had with it is the lag, which only happens when i open contacts, and sometimes while typing a text message (which is easily fixable by going back to SMS, then back home, then back to your SMS)

i duno, maybe im just REALLY lucky, or maybe everyone else just likes to complain a lot? i love this phone and i would definitely not return it.

erhalt1

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
You all have been so nice and generous with information. I don't think I will return the iPhone, I called and the a nice Apple rep had me reinstall the software, I did that, after changing somethings around it locked up again. I told him about this and he told me to wait for a upcoming patch that should address all of the issues. He told me that some of the programs, that are being developed are missing some info that is causing the problems. He told me that it really should have been addressed before it was available on iTunes. Anyway thanks for all of your help!

Just thought I'd share my update.

Eric

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Thanks for being involved, and letting us know the outcome.

It is a crappy situation with some of the issues around the 2.0 software. It is a crap sandwhich, and we all have to take a bite until the patches come out. The Apple Rep is right....some of these issues should have been found/addressed before launch. But, as I've said before, we don't live in a perfect world. Apple is good about correcting their mistakes, and I would expect a patch within 2 weeks I think (being optimistic, i know).

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Thanks for being involved, and letting us know the outcome.

It is a crappy situation with some of the issues around the 2.0 software. It is a crap sandwhich, and we all have to take a bite until the patches come out. The Apple Rep is right....some of these issues should have been found/addressed before launch. But, as I've said before, we don't live in a perfect world. Apple is good about correcting their mistakes, and I would expect a patch within 2 weeks I think (being optimistic, i know).
Edit for langauge, before the mods get to you.