Now you can Deregister iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Zanthe, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It took them long enough. This should be put in the Messages section of Settings.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Yep. This website, while helpful, doesn't address the issue. Not everyone is going to realize they need to go online, find a website and enter their phone number. This seems as if it wasn't very well though out. At some point early on, they must have known that numbers get tied to iMessage and switchers would have difficulty. Think about the folks who switch and stop getting messages. I'd bet they blame the "new phone". Doesn't seem fair to other manufacturers.

I'm glad there is a solution. I wish it didn't take a lawsuit to see some real change.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That's great since I am constantly swapping the SIM between my iPhone and Windows phone.. I always forget to turn messages off so this will give me a way to do it when I don't notice the issue until I'm away from the iPhone..

Just need to bookmark that link in IE for the Windows phone..

Do you know if it's instant?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think this solution is fine. Logging out of iMessages and disabling it will prevent the problem. This will fix the problem if someone fails to do that because they didn't know they needed to or forgot. I don't think there is much else Apple can do. It's a service we opt into that needs to be signed out of one way or another if we don't want to use it anymore. They were way too slow to implement the fix, though.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Anyone know of an easy way to do this if you switch between devices often? I might carry the iPhone for a week then swap out the SIM to something different for a week, then back to the iPhone.. Rinse, lather, rinse and repeat..

Am I stuck with constantly having to shut off iMessage and if I forget then use the online tool?

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Have we confirmed that logging out indeed works? I know that Apple mentions this in the requirements of "if you have your phone", but that hasn't always been the case. You could log out and it will still send your messages into a black hole.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Why don't you just turn iMessage off and leave it off? Just use regular text messages. Problem solved. Since most have unlimited text these days iMessage isn't all that necessary.

10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I like getting SMS on my MacBook.. I thought iMessages had to be turned on for this..

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I just did it via the link and it worked fine.

Here is a screenshot of the text I got on my Lumia.

wp_ss_20141112_0001.png

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you'll need to toggle it off when you switch phones and then back on when you go back to the iPhone. But it doesn't take long, especially if you're only doing it once a week. It's the only way to ensure that your messages won't go MIA.

13. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

I like I message to be honest and texts come quickly and just easier for iMessage just turn it off when you leave... Oh i was not happy when my iPad mini was getting all my texts and my 12 year old was using it lol I turned it off there too

14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Problem is I often forget and I don't realize the error of my ways until I'm away from the iPhone. I guess I can use the online tool in those instances..

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You wouldn't need to use the online tool since you still have access to the iPhone. Just toggle it off when you remember.

16. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Sure but sometimes I am away for a few days and the iPhone is relaxing at home while I am goofing off in another city.

It's no big deal as at least now I can use the online tool. If my tiny brain would remember to turn it off that would be great but......

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try to associate the SIM card with iMessages. That way when you are removing the SIM, it will trigger you to think of disabling/reenabling iMessages.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

And how can I accomplish such awesome'ness?