Numerous Probelms...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 1, 2007
Hello, I just got my iPhone on Sept. 28th and already I've been experiencing some problems. First, when browsing the web (which is really nice btw:cool:) and I'm listing to music, after a couple minutes the music stops. I've heard of this problem elsewhere, hoping a fix will come soon. Second, when I try to play YouTube videos on WiFi, they don't work. They load and start playing but the video is all messed up, it like flashes green and weird stuff. YouTube works on EDGE but is kind of slow. Is that something that can be fixed, or is mine just broken...:( Last, I don't know if they are all like this but I noticed that one of the speakers on the bottom of the phone is not emitting sound (right one). They could all be like that or mine is just broken, I don't know, so if anyone can help me out with anything that will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Hello, I just got my iPhone on Sept. 28th and already I've been experiencing some problems. First, when browsing the web (which is really nice btw:cool:) and I'm listing to music, after a couple minutes the music stops. I've heard of this problem elsewhere, hoping a fix will come soon. Second, when I try to play YouTube videos on WiFi, they don't work. They load and start playing but the video is all messed up, it like flashes green and weird stuff. YouTube works on EDGE but is kind of slow. Is that something that can be fixed, or is mine just broken...:( Last, I don't know if they are all like this but I noticed that one of the speakers on the bottom of the phone is not emitting sound (right one). They could all be like that or mine is just broken, I don't know, so if anyone can help me out with anything that will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
lets see..
i've heard about your first problem and some people say the update fixes it, some don't think it does.

i really have no idea why your youtube videos are acting up while on wife/edge..

and as for the right speaker, i don't think it is actually a speaker. my first iPhone(r.i.p geoffrey the iPhone) was the same way..

i am curious as to why Apple is pretending like it's a speaker..

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
As to the speaker question. One is a speaker while the other is a microphone. They would both be speakers, if you didn't want anyone to hear what you had to say...
lmfao.
thanks for that info, i had never even thought about it so now i'm just THAT much smarter..

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to EIP and congratz on the iPhone.

Your first issue is common, many people experience it and there isn't really anything you can do about it.

I'm not sure about the second. My YouTube works fine, Wi-Fi and EDGE.

It is true that there is only one speaker. The left one is a microphone and all iPhones are this way. iamtko, Apple does not pretend this a speaker, the iPhone manual has a diagram in it that shows one being a speaker and one being a mic.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Give up the Thanks if you got them OP, Macman covered all your bases.

Regarding your issues with YouTube over EDGE, there are a couple key things to keep in mind when using it.

1) File Size. If you're trying to download a movie thats 4+ minutes long you're going to have to wait even longer for the cache file to build up before it will start playing. That cache file acts as a buffer so the video keeps playing even though it hasn't completely downloaded yet. Run out of buffer and your video stops. So to keep things moving along smoothly, the player would prefer to load as much as possible before starting the playback head. It's just a percentage value algorithm, not much we can do about it.

2) These videos are going to be played on their side, Landscape mode. So with that in mind, don't hold your iPhone on the end with the black plastic dock port. This area is where your phone's Antenna is housed, lame I know but we'd have even worse reception if it was trying to go through the metal shroud just above. With this in mind, keep your hand away from the black end when loading the movie over EDGE, you'll absorb less of the radio waves and increase your reception. Better reception = better download speeds.

Welcome to EIP

Oct 1, 2007
Thanks for the welcome and help. Glad to know I don't have a broken speaker, lol. The only thing is, I still can't figure out why YouTube won't work over WiFi. It works fine on EDGE, just no where on WiFi. My friend said it's because it loads to fast but I don't think that's it. Oh well, thanks again.