O2 3G Coverage

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have to say im surprised by that. Ive been with o2 about 8 years now and been using a smartphone for at least 3. Ive never noticed a slow connection, makes you wonder

a) Have o2 upped their game in the last 6 months, as the report was produced in Dec 08
b) Would I notice a faster internet connection with another company?

I always thought my iPhone 3g speeds were quite good, Edge is also really quick for me.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
Since that was produced, I know that O2 has begun or is in talks with Vodafone to share masts/up their coverage.

b) this depends on a lot of factors.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
o2 has begun to upgrade there services. There is nothing noticeable as of yet, but in the next few months there will be a slight increase in speeds for EDGE and 3G.

for those who have the 3GS they will obviously have an increased connection due to the phone itself. The sharing of masts has been going on for ages, you bounce of other cellular carriers mast all the time. It's not roaming but it's just what happens. Sharing is probably one of the best ways to increase reception in certain areas. The big carriers i.e o2 voda t-mobile and orange if you like them- need to upgrade there towers/services to be one step ahead when better smartphones come out in the future.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I hope I finally get EDGE or 3G service at home :/

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I hope I finally get EDGE or 3G service at home :/

You don't get EDGE or 3G @ home... thats just unlucky. I guess as your posting in an o2 section your from the UK- you must live in the hills or in a leadlined house :)

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
You don't get EDGE or 3G @ home... thats just unlucky. I guess as your posting in an o2 section your from the UK- you must live in the hills or in a leadlined house :)
Neither, I live in an area where I am meant to get 3G and EDGE :/ I live 5 mins away from the beach, and on the south-coast, in the 4th most expensive place to live in the world :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Still confused about where your from... if your from the UK then it's got to be Dorset, right?

I don't know how you cope without 3G. I suppose wifi is a healthy alternative ;)

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
Still confused about where your from... if your from the UK then it's got to be Dorset, right?

I don't know how you cope without 3G. I suppose wifi is a healthy alternative ;)
Canford Cliffs :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Did anyone notice o2 being down for a couple of hours this afternoon?

It happened roughly 1605 they lost all of the data side of there networks.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Don't mean to be off subject, but in europe do you get turn by turn area maps for all major cities? Was talking to someone else about this on another thread.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Don't mean to be off subject, but in europe do you get turn by turn area maps for all major cities? Was talking to someone else about this on another thread.
I personally don't use it. But i have played with it and i can tell you that it works in the UK. It's a little slow but it does work.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
Did anyone notice o2 being down for a couple of hours this afternoon?

It happened roughly 1605 they lost all of the data side of there networks.
Didn't read the news? Yep, they had downtime affecting PM iPhone customers. :/