Obligatory iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Negative Features Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by liberated, Sep 13, 2014.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

So Naps recently mentioned how peaceful it is here :D

I figured I start this thread. First my disclaimer, I love my iPhone and indeed ordered the new 6. With that said I'm sharing my uneducated thoughts and dislikes, feel free to correct me, I don't take offense.

Dislikes on new iPhone 6/6+

1. Camera, same old 8MP here, I know the MP argument, but with similar devices upping that as well as implementing image stabilization, it seems lame.

2. Front facing camera, 1.2 MP 720P? Really? Has apple being paying attention to the world of selfies now a days??? I'd argue for the reversal 8MP in front 1.2MP on the back LOL!

3. Blatant coping of HTC's device body, tho not much that can be done with an all metal device.

4. No home landscape mode for the 6??? Awaiting a jailbreak for that. And along those lines, apple again ripped jailbreakers off.

5. On off button, darn it now I must retrain my muscle memory to look for that on the side !!!!

What are your dislikes? What are your arguments to mine?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. I wish people understood that there is a lot more to a camera than the megapixels. There are major camera improvements this year. I don't see the need for more than 8 MP in a cell phone and a lot of us would turn it down to 8 if they did add it, so I'm glad they stuck with 8. I don't print very large photos so the huge pics end up being a waste of space. It's non-issue for most of us. As far as upgrades, we are getting optical image stabilization (+ only), improved tone mapping, better noise reduction, and the new Focus Pixel technology, which improves the phone's ability to select autofocus points. For videos, we have the new 240 fps slo-mo recording and support for shooting in 1080p at 60 fps.

2. Agreed. However, it was upgraded with an f/2.2 aperture that lets more light in and has burst mode. I would have liked to see it get increased to a 3 MP, though.

3. I disagree. There is only so much you can do with a small rectangular device as far as changing the look. Some will look similar. iPhone 5 had an aluminum body before HTC made one. I definitely don't think it's a copy of an HTC.

4. The screen size of the 5.5" justifies it. The 4.7" is a little small for that to be stock, but you can get it through jailbreaking if you want it.

5. Easier to reach now that the phone is taller.

3. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I know it sounds silly but I really wish the 6 had contact pictures for the SMS threads like the 6 Plus. There's no reason I can think of why they can't be there. It should at least be an option that can be turned on/off. I was really disappointed when I found out it was going to be missing.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Yes I agree, but how many people do you ask to take their picture of so you can add it on their contact info? The only ones I have with a picture is family members.

5. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Most of mine come from the person's Facebook profile picture automatically.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Oh I see, I've never used that feature.

7. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

I don't take selfies so a front facing camera is of no use to me. The camera takes really good pics now so I won't fall into the numbers game. I also don't jailbreak my phone so I'm happy so far with everything that is said to be on the new IP6.

8. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Yes, I agree with you. It does sound silly. I know what people look like. ;)

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I do not like selfies either I was speaking for 99% of celebs and teens out there lol. But seriously?! Nothing you wish was different?!

10. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

I don't know. I'm not really into my phone and most of its features. I need it to take an occasional pic/video, internet, banking apps, email and text. It does all those thing really well.

11. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Not so much a dislike but; IMHO apple should have ditched the 16gb for minimum of 32gb and dropped the U2 download. It wasn't an issue for me as I went 6+ 128gb but with enhancements to camera (pics and vids) as well as larger footprint, I surmise that my iPad will stay in my backpack more often.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Agree, 16GB and no 32GB option seems odd. 32 should be the smallest

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't do that. I do use some people's Facebook profile photo, but I choose them myself. I use something as a contact profile pic, even if it's not a photo of that person. It may be a photo of their house or car. Most I do have a pic for. I just don't leave any blank with nothing at all. Some are automatic with gmail contacts.

14. Designed4Him

Designed4Him New Member

I have an S4 and I'm pretty sure that the megapixels are like 13 but my 4S took better pics than this. I ordered the 6+ so I get the OIS feature.

I'm not sure if landscape mode would be beneficial on a 4.7 screen. My is 5.0 and I don't have a need for it.

The 16GB remained because apple dropped the price of iCloud. You can get 20GB for 99cent a month.

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Doing a MP increase for the camera would've made low light photos noisier unless pixels were enlarged drastically which would have been difficult.

I would've liked to see a more powerful SoC to handle the ip6+ resolution better. Reports are coming back indicating frame rate drop on the plus because of the larger display.

Apple needs to stop with this thin obsession and give us better battery life.

I would've like to see slow mo captured in full HD 1080p.

Even though it's not mainstream yet, I would've like to see 4k video capture for future proofing those precious moments.

16. iphone1027

iphone1027 Member
    Bronze

This.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Agree 100% most people use cases so why continue to he thinner? You can make the device thicker (which would still be thinner than necessary) and accommodate a thicker battery.

18. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

where are you seeing these reports?

19. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

The reality is $9 added cost for 32gb. A lot when you consider volume...sure. The issue is video at 1080/60 which in the 6 is more than a consideration because many will "dump" toting cameras. ICloud storage and Dropbox storage is seldom enough...

Sent using iCafe app

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Actually, it's more like returning to the roots of iphone 1: aluminum body, flat back, rounded edges. It's what the iPhone should have been all along, in my opinion.

I think you're mostly joking here, but after thinking about it myself, I think it's a great location for the power button, and I wish it was there on my 5S.

The only thing I'll probably be disappointed with is RAM. 1GB is ok, but more would be better. I really hate switching apps or safari tabs and having them reload before I can use them. Will just have to wait for the iFixit teardown.