October 19th Really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J-94, Sep 24, 2012.

1. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Contacted Verizon today, with interest in upgrading my phone line (iPhone 4). I'm on my parents line, and pay my own portion of the bill. I am not the primary account holder so i still need my father to sign off. The past 2.5 weeks he was away in Canada on a businesss trip, thereforee no iP5. Imagine my excitement when he returned this past Sunday night. After the usual "hello" and "how was the trip?" I worked my way up to mentioning my interest in upgrading, and we both agreed to it. Sooooo today while i was out at work my dad contacted Verizon, and asked about in-store pick-ups. The C.Rep said that in-store pick up maybe almost impossible at this point, and that i might be better off ordering online. No big deal right? Welllll, Verizon's latest shipments of online iPhone 5 orders will not be sent out until 10/19. IMO that's a long wait. Do you esteemed veterans (or newcomers) of the eiC community, think I'd be better off trying to check a more remote location (Verizon, Best Buy, Walmart) and hope they have my pristine White iPhone 5 32GB? Get back to me guys. :cool:

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Check Walmart, best buy, radio shack... Not every location is butt-slammed with businesss. In fact, there are some places that aren't moving them anywhere close to what they thought they would.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

For Apple Retail Stores, buy online between 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. for in-store pickup the next day. Limited quantities available.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Being an early riser (or all nighter) to pre-order the iPhone 5, I would say you'd be better off ordering online, which is safer and you'll know exactly what you're getting. That said, you can still check Best Buy and other authorized resellers. That will not hurt to try. Right now I do know that stores are out of stock of the new iPhone 5. iDay was insane and they sold out very quickly, with over 2 million pre-orders and purchases inside the stores.

5. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I'm not experienced with the Apple store. We only have one around here, which is odd considering I do not live in the woods or a majority rural area. On their website, it has available to ship in 3-4 weeks for all carriers. Are we talking about the same thing?

6. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Will i still need my Father to sign off at location? I am off tomorrow and he isn't. So I'm hoping the answer is No haha

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

It starts tonight
    Also check the App

8. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

If I go to purchase and it still says 3-4 weeks have i missed the limited quantities?

9. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

J-94 the Apple Retail Stores will have stock, but limited number. You can order between 10 pm and 4 am and make it to the Apple Store as soon as possible in the morning to make sure you get one of them.

10. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Thanks guys, I saw the phone online at radio shack and available in-store. My check is post dated for Saturday and they can't do anything til then. Soooo using my evil genius skills, I asked the associate to get them to ship it to another local store and that should take 2-3 businesss days. When it arrives Friday, the associate said she can hold it until I can pick it up Saturday morning so barring some catastrophic purchase from someone else before the associate can get through to the other store as the lines were busy when she called while I was there, I should have it Saturday.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I went in my local AT&T store and the guy said he got 2 iPhones in only because they were pre-order. I asked what the wait was till he got some in and he told me about a month. So that's about right. Like others have mentioned, check Walmart, best buy, first.

12. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Proud owner of a white 32 gig iPhone 5

13. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Details?

14. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Got it from a local radio shack, checked their inventory online and went first thing this morning. Had to give up my unlimited data though :( but no biggie I never used over 4 gigs.

15. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Why'd you have to give up the unlimited?

16. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

They told my dad that once we upgraded the line we'd have to give up the data. It saves like $20 a month but it was a lil disheartening

17. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

He must have had a rookie. YOu're the first person I know that has been forced off the unlimited plan during the iPhone 5 upgrade.

18. Disneymom2003

Disneymom2003 Member
    Bronze

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Verizion was doing this. An iPhone upgrade meant no more unlimited. AT&T is not.

19. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I can confirm that I still have my unlimited plan after upgrading to my iPhone 5. However, I may have lost my unlimited mobile to any mobile that came with my unlimited text plan. I had to choose a text plan when I ordered.

20. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

That's what I was told. We'll see how it works out when my dad speaks with his friend/Verizon rep. SN- do apps and Internet use cell data on wifi?