Odd behavior on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Target, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

My wife has an iPhone 5. Recently she's been getting blank iMessages from my Daughter's iPod Touch. Now we've confirmed the Touch is not sending them. It's dead and has been for a while now. We've not sold any iDevices with that iTunes account. There is no reason she should be getting the iMessages.

Today she received a call from herself. My wife's iPhone got a call from my wife's iPhone. Her number on the caller ID. Ever heard of this? It is very odd.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's likely a robo-call or phishing scam where they spoof your own phone number. Decline the call and not provide any personal or account information. You can file a complaint with the FCC.
    http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm curious. Did you go to recents and tap the circled "i" out by the number? If you did, did it still show your wife's number?

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

How do you report a company for spoofing your own number if you decline the call and have no idea who it is? ;)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure if either they or the phone company can tell where it's originating. He may have already accepted one of them and there is a record of that. He also said he received texts. I'm just relaying what they recommend. It's better than doing nothing.

6. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Yes. Her contact info shows up.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

What do you make of the texts? That's an old contact from before my daughter had an iPhone.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No idea really. If it wasn't phishing for info, then it may have been a carrier issue. You might give them a call and see what they say about it.

9. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Have you considered deleting both contacts completely from the phone and other synced sources/services and then recreating them after rebooting the wife's phone?
    Just spitballing this idea.

10. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

The touch address is not there any longer. How do you delete your own contact info?

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Tap edit, then scroll down and tap delete contact. :D
    Then add it back in.

12. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for the reply...the contact was deleted already. Maybe it's Elvis?

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Elvis has an iPhone? That must be who I get all those mysterious alert sounds from. It sounds like the that one called tri-tone. I hear it about 2 or 3 times an hour. No idea what it's for. Not email. Not refresh background apps. I've checked everywhere and everything. Must be Elvis! :D