Odd hardware failure...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tubamajuba, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Tubamajuba

Tubamajuba New Member

Alright, let me start off by saying that I'm not really expecting a solution to this problem. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to post this just in case it's not unsolvable!

In any case, my iPhone 4 has developed a strange issue over the past couple of weeks. Whenever I'm using the phone app, the person on the other end of the line cannot hear me speak. I can hear them, but not a single sound comes from my end of the line.

After this happened a couple of times, I realized this problem was not going to go away on its own. First I tested the mic using the Voice Memos app. It worked perfectly every time I recorded something. Once I ruled out the mic, I closed all apps and rebooted my phone. Still nothing. I connected my iPhone to my Touchpad via Bluetooth to see if using my Touchpad like a headset would possibly work. It didn't. Tried a couple days later, still no outbound voice. Maybe it was a tower issue? I tested it in several different areas and got nothing. I removed and reinserted my SIM card and reset network settings, all to no avail.

And finally, I took a trip to my local Apple Store. After restoring my phone as new and still experiencing the same problem, the Genius that was working with me confirmed what I had begun to fear- it was a hardware issue. And because my phone is out of warranty, I'll have to fork over $150 for a new/refurbished iPhone 4.

I'll do it if I have to, but it might be a while before I have that money. And that's why I'm here- does anyone possibly have any solutions that could fix my iPhone's problem? I know it's unlikely that anything can be done, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks in advance!

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

It seems like that you run all the common tests. I'm afraid to say it is a hardware problem. Sorry.

3. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Just wondering- if it will take you a while to come up with $150, should you be paying for the luxury of a smart phone for you can't afford?

4. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

And how does that answer his question?

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You got an extra $150 just lying around? I gladly accept donations. Rather smart ass uncalled for comment I'd ya ask me.

6. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Ya really Dude, the guy was asking a simple question like the many I'm sure you will ask or have already asked. His finances should not come into play.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I blessed to make a nice living and we budget everything, while I could hand over $150 in an emergency, I would save for it. My iPhone is great, I use it everyday several times a day, but I know where my priorities are. Perhaps the original poster is the same. It would suck if I had a hardware issue. I'd wait awhile to replace a hardware failure. I might even enjoy going back to my Treo.

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

8. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I do. Otherwise I wouldn't be having an extravagance like a smart phone. It's like saying, I can't afford gas for my paid-for car so I'll go get a $25K loan for a new car that gets better mileage. As Target says, priorities. And if one is so tight that they won't have $150 "for a while", it's ridiculous to have an ongoing smart phone plan.

I do agree that it's none of my beeswax and probably shouldn't have commented, even though it seemed ****eyed to me. But since there are responses it's too late to delete. Mea Culpa.

9. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

I can afford my smartphone plan.....It's budgeted for, but I couldn't afford if my smartphone died on me. I don't have $150 lying around anywhere. I mean, yeah, I have a savings account, but not for that. I think it's ridiculous, especially in these times, to think everyone has an extra $150 laying around for these types of things.

But, it's time to stop replying to this guy and start trying to help the OP. If there is any help to be given.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Let's get back on topic. Thanks.

11. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

What a great idea!

12. Tubamajuba

Tubamajuba New Member

Haha thanks everyone for the support! In response to bams50, I'll just go ahead and say that the other posters in this topic essentially nailed it on the head. I certainly have more than $150 to my name right now, but seeing as my iPhone 4 works flawlessly otherwise, I'm not in a rush to spend money on it. When I said it would be a while before I had the money, I meant that it would be a while before I had the *extra* money to comfortably afford the replacement once my other priorities are taken care of. I understand why you questioned me to begin with, so no harm done. Responsibility is quickly becoming a lost virtue in this day and age, and it is easy to see why the wording of my original post led you to believe that I was financially irresponsible.

Napoleon wants us to get back on topic though, so I'll just say that I figured trying to fix my phone was a lost cause. It's okay, I can now claim to be an owner of a 3G iPod touch! :p

Happy Thanksgiving everybody, and thanks again for the help!

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Rather rude and uncalled for!

The OP's finances is none of your businesss and has nothing to do with his / her post...

I would not want to shell out $150 if I did not have to / for no reason... Even more so with the holidays fast approaching...

Stuck up or just stuck on yourself? These days and in this economy everyone is a short step away from a homeless shelter...

Sorry, back on topic now...

OP, sounds like you have tried just about everything... Maybe try a new SIM card next?

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Gettin back on topic here, to the OP:
    Try going back and talking with another genius. Sometimes it can be hit and/or miss with them. 1 person may say, sorry gotta get a replacement another may be in a great mood and just exchange it for you. Have you ever had any other 'claims' on the phone? First timers can usually get 1 replacement free. Keyword being usually.

15. Tubamajuba

Tubamajuba New Member

I have not tried a new SIM card... good idea though, I'll be sure to find time to talk to someone at AT&T.

And I have certainly considered talking with another genius, but I figured that since the genius I already talked to would have documented my visit, a second genius would look at those notes and tell me the same thing. And no, this is the first time I have ever had a problem with my phone. The only time I ever needed a replacement before this was a 2nd gen iPod touch that was still in warranty. I have heard of people getting a "freebie" so to speak, but I figured that the first genius turning me down would kill any chance I had of going to another one. I hope I'm wrong on this though!

16. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Wow! Just rude!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Alright, folks, I'll say it a second and last time before locking the thread. Back on topic. Thanks.