Odd mail problem

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I run a 3G, latest OS.
I use Apple Mail, as synced from my Mac.
When I send an e-mail from the iPhone, I get the response window, "Sender's address not recognized by server, msg placed in Drafts box"
How can it not recognize my address when it is going out via the same service as my Mac?
I have also noticed over the past week or so, that similar notations on attempts to send have, 2 or 3 days later, be received my the addressee.
Anyone on this anomaly?

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
on the iPhone, check to be sure you know which SMTP server is being used by the account you are sending from. It is possible to have multiple and switch defaults.

in addition, for the SMTP server being used, double-check (or respecify) the authentication settings (username and password) as this would one reason you mail is rejected.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
on the iPhone, check to be sure you know which SMTP server is being used by the account you are sending from. It is possible to have multiple and switch defaults.

in addition, for the SMTP server being used, double-check (or respecify) the authentication settings (username and password) as this would one reason you mail is rejected.
Excellent advice. Try this and if it doesn't work, delete the mail account and set up again. Sometimes this solves the problem.

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks to you both.
But, tell me why if the settings in the phone are taken from my Mac, i.e., I did not set up the account directly in the phone, how could there be any difference in any settings?
And, I guess I'm at a loss as to the question, "which SMTP server is being used by the account I'm sending from". Again, how could it be different than from the Mac.
Elucidation please, I'm at a loss here.

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
There are smtp on and off settings in the email settings.

In spite of years of e-mail and SMTP I really have not idea of the workings of the protocols.
What happens if I switch SMTP off? Do I no longer have access to e-mail?

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks to you both.
But, tell me why if the settings in the phone are taken from my Mac, i.e., I did not set up the account directly in the phone, how could there be any difference in any settings?
And, I guess I'm at a loss as to the question, "which SMTP server is being used by the account I'm sending from". Again, how could it be different than from the Mac.
Elucidation please, I'm at a loss here.
there are all kinds of limitations that could be in play.

For example, a Comcast user has the Comcast SMTP on his Mac but if that gets put on the iPhone, Comcast will see a message sent from an IP address not part of their range and reject it.

you cannot just turn OFF SMTP.... if you do, you will be unable to send messages. There IS an SMTP settings for AT&T which is available to you as a iPhone subscriber. You might want to research that.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
there are all kinds of limitations that could be in play.

For example, a Comcast user has the Comcast SMTP on his Mac but if that gets put on the iPhone, Comcast will see a message sent from an IP address not part of their range and reject it.

you cannot just turn OFF SMTP.... if you do, you will be unable to send messages. There IS an SMTP settings for AT&T which is available to you as a iPhone subscriber. You might want to research that.
What he said ^ :)

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Believe me I do appreciate all the responses. So, one more.
If I obtain an SMTP setting from AT&T, will I continue to have the same e-mail access I do currently?