Oddity encountered while changing my avatar here on eiC

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
@chris and/or moderators,

Earlier, I decided I wanted to change my avatar. The photo I intended to use was a PNG file which took up 144 KB of space.

Here’s the photo itself followed by proof of its size (click to enlarge):

144 KB - Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 7.08.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 7.17.27 AM.png

When I attempted to upload it so as to make it my avatar, eiC gave me the following error:

error.png

Fair enough.

So I opened up the photo in Photoshop and converted it to the JPG format, hoping it would shrink in size. It didn’t. It actually became larger.

Here’s the new photo after conversion to JPG, followed by proof of its size:

191 KB Ennis Esmer.jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 7.22.08 AM.png

Well, well, well. What have we here? As shown immediately above, the size of the photo increased from 144 KB to 191 KB after being converted to JPG. But despite the converted file’s larger size, it was, paradoxically, actually accepted by eiC as my avatar!

The warning clearly indicated I should upload an avatar no bigger than 50 KB. My inital 144 KB avatar was rejected, but my 191 KB avatar was accepted? What’s going on here?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Maybe the software for the site doesn't like PNG files.
I was thinking the same thing, mate, but if that’s the case, then the error message should say that instead of complaining about the size of the file.

Luckily I didn’t spend valuable minutes trying to shrink the file down to a puny 50 KB and just went with uploading the JPG.

Hopefully the error message gets fixed; not for seasoned users like us, for the benefit of our potential new members, who may get frustrated with the misleading error message while creating their new profile here, go away, and never come back.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe the software for the site doesn't like PNG files.
Yeah, I think that's the case. I'll test it later. I'm a little tired from the 13 I just did. Battleship in bed is all I can muster right now.