Offender Locator Removed From The App Store By Apple

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Offender Locator, a controversial, high-profile application that allowed users to find registered sex offenders, was removed from the App Store this week.

The software from ThinAir Wireless was priced at $0.99, and had resided among the top 10 selling applications in Apple’s App Store for weeks. But according to CNet, the application was banished from the App Store for legal reasons.
While those reasons have not yet been made clear, some have speculated that it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information. But according to a ThinAir Wireless employee, Sex Offenders Search, a competing application for $1.99, remained on sale even after Offender Locator had been pulled from the App Store.
The software allowed users to see nearby registered offenders based on the phone’s current location or by manually entering an address. The program then pulled up a map with pinpoints for each nearby offender. The locations were each selectable, giving users access to the person’s picture, a physical description, and information on what crime they were convicted of.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I went ahead and bought the other software mentioned before they pull it too!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It's back in the store – I just bought it a few minutes ago...
I already had it, but I was about to say it's back in the store. I was cunfused reading this post and seeing it in the store as well.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I never bought it, I've had "StaySafe" for a few months, but I would have found it puzzling for Apple to pull this one, when others that do the same thing are still there.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have a question - why do you guys need to purchase an iPhone app for this?

like the quote in the OP says, the info is publicly available for free... probably on the internet, which you have on an iPhone. I mean are you really checking for sex offenders that often?

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
i have a question - why do you guys need to purchase an iPhone app for this?

like the quote in the OP says, the info is publicly available for free... probably on the internet, which you have on an iPhone. I mean are you really checking for sex offenders that often?
I find those apps' popularity somewhat puzzling also.

Jun 30, 2009
It's good that Offender Locator is now back in app store. Though I grabed it earlier removing it from store. Me also think it should be made free for download.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Did anyone find that they have an offender living across the street?

I did get the app, free version, but I too wonder about its real value. The info is available on the net and its not like the databases are updated daily or anything. Heck, I bet they rely on static lists that are way behind the curve when it comes to new offenders being allowed into population. Checking the net will be good enough for me.