Offical iPhone Software Carrier Unlock Discussion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Ha, that's great! The carrier you choose must support Edge though... so for me it's useless. T-mobile vs. AT&T... I would take AT&T. If I could get it to work on Verizon, i would be all over it.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I betcha they'll do everything they can to stop this. You think its possible that the next software update and future ones will keep the ability to do this out?

Can't wait to hear what AT&T and Apple have planned for this

Though might be good! Sell more iPhones then pull out the big guns to screw up those people who bought the iPhone to hack it for tmobile lol. Then force them to buy another iPhone if they want service lol.

QuE1999

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I betcha they'll do everything they can to stop this. You think its possible that the next software update and future ones will keep the ability to do this out?

Can't wait to hear what AT&T and Apple have planned for this

Though might be good! Sell more iPhones then pull out the big guns to screw up those people who bought the iPhone to hack it for tmobile lol. Then force them to buy another iPhone if they want service lol.
Great so now AT&T/Apple or whoever it is will spend tons of time for the next update focusing on fixes for the unlocked phone instead of actual upgrades to improve the phone.... :(

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Great so now AT&T/Apple or whoever it is will spend tons of time for the next update focusing on fixes for the unlocked phone instead of actual upgrades to improve the phone.... :(
Yeah does suck but hey atleast we can have some fun reading horror stories of bricked tmobile iPhones or something

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
What's so ironic is that it's obvious that Apple secretly wanted this to happen, as they could now potentially double their sales. So in public they are screaming "Oh no! We didn't want this!", but then they all snicker and give each other high fives behind closed doors. T-Mobile is also obviously very happy.

listenclose

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Is it unlocked or just activated with t-mobile? Can they just pop in the att sim and it'll read it right away or is there a process?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What's so ironic is that it's obvious that Apple secretly wanted this to happen, as they could now potentially double their sales. So in public they are screaming "Oh no! We didn't want this!", but then they all snicker and give each other high fives behind closed doors. T-Mobile is also obviously very happy.
Doesn't Apple get a slice of each iPlan? I wouldn't be so sure the halls of Cupertino are filled with smiles today.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Every iPhone plan does net Apple extra money. Im sure Apple is upset as a fat corporate contract is bigger than a little increase in sales of the iPhone. Plus AT&T will demand fixes im sure. Probably already working on it.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Doesn't Apple get a slice of each iPlan? I wouldn't be so sure the halls of Cupertino are filled with smiles today.
Yes they do get a slice, I forgot about that. But I'm sure they'll make their money back with all the T-Mobile customers they will make now.

I find it interesting that AT&T lets iPhone buyers take the iPhone home without signing a two year contract! Now T-Mobile people can just walk in, buy the iPhone, go home, hack it to pieces and then use it for the same price an AT&T customer would pay.

If AT&T were smart, they would make all iPhone buyers sign a contract before leaving the store with the iPhone, you know?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yes they do get a slice, I forgot about that. But I'm sure they'll make their money back with all the T-Mobile customers they will make now.

I find it interesting that AT&T lets iPhone buyers take the iPhone home without signing a two year contract! Now T-Mobile people can just walk in, buy the iPhone, go home, hack it to pieces and then use it for the same price an AT&T customer would pay.

If AT&T were smart, they would make all iPhone buyers sign a contract before leaving the store with the iPhone, you know?
You have a very good point. A shift in businesss practices would solve their problems. Then again, for the Apple Store that would be a major shift in their way of doing businesss.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Now that the iPhone is completely unlocked...

Does this mean that if you use it on T-Mobile that you don't need to sign a two year contract? Does this mean that if we all would have waited, we could have taken our iPhones home, not signed a contract with AT&T, and then just used it with T-Mobile on a month to month basis?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Let's not forget there will be a hefty price tag on this unlock software. Personally, I have no interest in using T-Mobile. The bigger picture is how it affects users outside the US. How many people outside of the US have been clamoring for the iPhone. That's a pretty big market. I'm curious to see if Apple takes any legal steps against the company selling the solution.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Here's a question for everyone then. if you read the process it's not too easy, but i can do this on the weekends for some extra cash. How much do you think people are willing to buy an unlocked phone for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Worlds-Second-U...ryZ64355QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That kind of trend on e-bay won't happen, but if i can profit $150-$200 out of it, then I'm all in for doing this for people. What do you guys think?

lymn

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Seriously, who charges for hacks -- AT&T is going to come at them with some crazy DMCA legal power? Disgraceful members of the sub-ethical community.

Real hackers do it because they know information wants to be free...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Seriously, who charges for hacks -- AT&T is going to come at them with some crazy DMCA legal power? Disgraceful members of the sub-ethical community.

Real hackers do it because they know information wants to be free...
Well said. I enjoyed the blog of Geohot who said he was off to college to become a brain surgeon so he could "hack the brain".:p

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm sorry you didn't know that this was going to be the eventual outcome from an unlock. to be honest most thought this day would come sooner. Heck we're still waiting for a somewhat released SDK for hackers.

the only problem is that T-Mobile is really the only other GSM carrier for America and then you'd have to pay a higher cost to get the unlimited data.