Offical iPhone Software Carrier Unlock Discussion

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
That's right you can now use your iPhone with any GSM and SIM compatible network. For the majority of us this means we can use T-mobile as the only other option, but for the rest of the world, they can get on the iPhone wagon now.

Details:

http://www.iPhonesimfree.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/iphone-unlocked-atandt-loses-iphone-exclusivity-august-24-2007/
yah how much you wanna bet that the next update we get will be shortly after the release of the instuctions for the software hack? lol its pretty sad when the 3rd update does the same thing as the 1st (security issues i mean)

as for the HARDWARE hack, i don't know if they can fix that via software update but if they can im sure they will

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Let's not forget there will be a hefty price tag on this unlock software. Personally, I have no interest in using T-Mobile. The bigger picture is how it affects users outside the US. How many people outside of the US have been clamoring for the iPhone. That's a pretty big market. I'm curious to see if Apple takes any legal steps against the company selling the solution.
i do wonder how much they'll charge for the unlocking software. $50? $100? for people in the u.s. who are locked into a contract, any amount below the $175 they'd need to pay to cancel their contract might be acceptable. and for those outside the u.s., how much more on top of the cost of the iPhone would they be willing to pay? this should be interesting.

i think Apple will take legal steps to shut this down if they can - this will cause them to lose revenue both from the percentage of every iplan they would otherwise get if iPhone purchaseres went through an "authorized" carrier.

i was already with AT&T before the iPhone, so the unlocking was never an issue for me. but, i did worry about it for times when i go outside of the u.s. - i'd much rather buy a local sim card to use in an unlocked phone. now i have a choice - unlock my iPhone or simply take my unlocked nokia with me to use on such trips. i doubt i'll be able to leave my iPhone behind on any future trip, though... ;)

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Seriously, who charges for hacks -- AT&T is going to come at them with some crazy DMCA legal power? Disgraceful members of the sub-ethical community.

Real hackers do it because they know information wants to be free...
I meant the hardware hack by Geohot. This software sutff should be free considering it could be illegal

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Doesn't Apple get a slice of each iPlan? I wouldn't be so sure the halls of Cupertino are filled with smiles today.
ya lol they do..in Europe they are suppose to get 10% of the profits haha... I can see whats on the top of the priority list already for the next update..lmao

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yah how much you wanna bet that the next update we get will be shortly after the release of the instuctions for the software hack?
No biggie. They will just hack it again. But I don't think Apple will waste too much time chasing its tale.

And from the Engaget article:
"The iPhoneSIMfree.com guys claim this method is restore and upgrade resistant. We have no way of knowing whether Apple will be able to disable this SIM unlock with future iPhone software updates, but we can confirm that it is restore-resistant."

--
Mike

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Ho Hum. At&t may not be my favorite carrier, but I sure wouldn't want to mess with my phone just to use T-Mobile.
I completely agree... but I've been a AT&T customers for 3 years. I have no complaints with them what so ever.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
AT&T may not be Verizon, which IMO is the best, but AT&T's service has been respectable. However, T-Mobile IMO is crap. I can see the advantages of this if traveling overseas, but that's it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I bet if you folks were already locked into T-Mobile contracts, or lived in an area with T-Mobile but no AT&T service, you might feel differently.

But I think this is targeted more at international users. Let's face it, with Turbo SIMs selling out and demand still quite high, there are plenty of people who want an iPhone but don't want, or can't use, AT&T.

So instead of negative be happy that this might bring new iPhone owners on board. I think this is great news!

--
Mike

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I bet if you folks were already locked into T-Mobile contracts, or lived in an area with T-Mobile but no AT&T service, you might feel differently.

But I think this is targeted more at international users. Let's face it, with Turbo SIMs selling out and demand still quite high, there are plenty of people who want an iPhone but don't want, or can't use, AT&T.

So instead of negative be happy that this might bring new iPhone owners on board. I think this is great news!

--
Mike
I wasn't being negative..., I only said that AT&T had treated me very well over the past few years. Ahhh and since you mention it. I've had several cell service plans with different carriers. I've even worked for a couple of carriers. So I can say with complete certainty that there are good companies and bad ones out there. My only problem with this is, you knew before the iPhone came out that it was only going to be available through AT&T. With people doing this, it's only going to make the next iPhone ever tougher to crack and will probably up the already inflated price. Maybe the 2nd generation i-Phones you'll have to take a 4 year loan to buy?

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
AT&T in my area is better than Tmobile, so I for one am glad I switched. Tmobile is good for getting a lot of bang for your buck. They don't offer the best phones or have good service in my area at least.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wasn't being negative..., I only said that AT&T had treated me very well over the past few years.
I wasn't referring to you specifically, but that's not all you said. You wrote "I completely agree" (and thanked) in response to a post that started out with "Ho Hum." To me that post was negative, and you apparently agreed with it.

Again, there are valid reasons for those who want to do this. Doesn't mean you have to be one of them. If you can use AT&T, and are happy with AT&T, this solution isn't for you. This isn't about AT&T here, it's about the iPhone. Let's not turn this into a "defend AT&T" thread.

--
Mike

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I just think its funny on engadget where on the pictures, its says in the caption, " yep thats tmobile up there on top." I was like wow, I have had hoits2000 on mine for a month, wheres my news article. Haha.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I wasn't referring to you specifically, but that's not all you said. You wrote "I completely agree" (and thanked) in response to a post that started out with "Ho Hum." To me that post was negative, and you apparently agreed with it.

Again, there are valid reasons for those who want to do this. Doesn't mean you have to be one of them. If you can use AT&T, and are happy with AT&T, this solution isn't for you. This isn't about AT&T here, it's about the iPhone. Let's not turn this into a "defend AT&T" thread.

--
Mike
my intent wasn't necessarily to be negative. I just don't think that Apple will stand by and not find a way to block this. Again I see potential use when abroad, but if I was a T-Mobile customer I sure wouldn't run out and buy an iPhone right now bc it has been unlocked temporarily. It's conceivable that Apple in a future update can undo this, then again I guess they wouldn't have to install the update, but at the same time wouldn't get the full benefit of the iPhone and the (hopefully) upgrades that will be forthcoming.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Why would someone pay for 5000 for a iPhone! Its not that cool, it doens't even make me breakfast in the morning yet.

People just trying to make a pretty penny, If I unlocked it, I would make it free. Just to get back at Apple for charging so much for it, and their computers. Plus its only a matter of time before their secret is out, and you will be able to unlock it using many peoples different versions of the software.

I noticed on the engadget article that the iTunes screen said the iPhone information, but the number said N/A, I bet Apple could make an update, where if it couldn't verify the iPhone phone number as being att or another subsidiary it would lock the phone up or no let it update.

With the unlock now, I would bet that Apple will be pushed at making some cool updates, instead of lame ones, that could only be downloaded and installed to verified att numbered iPhones.

But what do I know, I just do accounting.

sungfra

Aug 22, 2007
Seems like there are others working hard trying to make a few extra bucks from the iPhone "owners" (or do we really own the iPhone if we can't really use it the way we wanted to?)
Second Software Unlock

For those that are happy with AT&T, look at it this way, you can now bring your phone oversea and plug in any local sim. Also, your unlocked iPhone probably has a better resale value if you are ready to upgrade one day.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Could care less about the unlock, I am just curious to see how they go about distributing this hack and who ends up picking them up. On the website they say they are only accepting bulk 500+ unit orders. How long until someone starts a torrent of this hack?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If this had been offered before launch day, I would have gone with T-Mobile instead. They are cheaper and have better customer service IMO. Plus they offer unlimited texting for only $9.99, that is such a deal!

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
If this had been offered before launch day, I would have gone with T-Mobile instead. They are cheaper and have better customer service IMO. Plus they offer unlimited texting for only $9.99, that is such a deal!

I definitely wouldn't, rather pay more money for better service. Don't think 9.99 unlimited texting would matter since Tmobile EDGE Unlimited (how great is the coverage I wonder?) costs 49.99.

I'd rather stick to the supported carrier.

I live in a major metropolitan area and its hilarious to have tmobile users get dropped calls in elevators while im still yapping away haha, AT&T always gives me coverage in movie theatres while friends with tmobile ask if they can use my phone. :)

222psm

Jul 14, 2007
I have no reason to leave AT&T, but it will be great when traveling overseas to be able to pop in a local SIM a save on the roaming!:cool: