Offical iPhone Software Carrier Unlock Discussion

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Apple didn't try very hard

No biggie. They will just hack it again. But I don't think Apple will waste too much time chasing its tale.

And from the Engaget article:
"The iPhoneSIMfree.com guys claim this method is restore and upgrade resistant. We have no way of knowing whether Apple will be able to disable this SIM unlock with future iPhone software updates, but we can confirm that it is restore-resistant."

--
Mike
Lets see ... The pictures show the network name as being "TMobile", not the actual icon in the upper left corner, but the actual network name displayed on the information screen, so the phone software can actually read the network name in as a string.

I think someone at Apple could figure out how to do something like:

if(getNetworkName().equals("AT&T"))
continue working
else
break something

This would hardly distract anyone at Apple from pursuing new features, maybe just from getting a second cup of coffee before lunch.

They cold do this inside many of the daemons that are required for the phone to work at all, and it would be pretty easy to wrap another layer around everything so people don't manipulate the binaries to force the check to work, they could jus do some checksums here and there on the binaries in a circular manner.

Although I am sure that Apple used some very sophisticated methods to make the software unlock difficult, they failed to implement simple methods to detect a software unlock, which could of been an oversite, but in my opinion was probably intentional.

Any one of their developers could fix this very quickly if Steve wanted them to.

micah67

Jul 9, 2007
I have no reason to leave AT&T, but it will be great when traveling overseas to be able to pop in a local SIM a save on the roaming!:cool:
That's EXACTLY what I'm happy about.

Also, with these unlocked, couldn't people could use existing AT&T accounts (SIM cards) without having to sign up with a 2-year contract?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Yeah! Finally. I am so freaking stoked! I am going back home to France in 3 weeks for vacations. I will be able to show off with my iPhone! YEAHHH

Once problem though. I am pissed I am now stuck for 2 years with ATT...

Congrats everyone at iPhoneSimFree!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Lets see ... The pictures show the network name as being "TMobile", not the actual icon in the upper left corner, but the actual network name displayed on the information screen, so the phone software can actually read the network name in as a string.

I think someone at Apple could figure out how to do something like:

if(getNetworkName().equals("AT&T"))
continue working
else
break something

This would hardly distract anyone at Apple from pursuing new features, maybe just from getting a second cup of coffee before lunch.
This ignores the reality of roaming, among other things.

In any event what Apple will or not do is all speculation at this point. What is known is that the system that was used to lock down the iPhone has been defeated. That was no small feat.

--
Mike

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
well, AT&T has gotten their lawyers together and has gotten in touch with the hacker team, and now their plans to release the software are on hold! see the engadget article here: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/25/uniquephones-indefinitely-delays-release-of-iphone-sim-unlock-so/
good article...i'm just gonna wait until they legally release software to unlock the iPhone...people just need to be patient...i personally aint hackin' nothin' that i paid $600 for...

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I paid full price for an iPhone
I own it and I will be more than happy to have it unlocked just cause its mine
as soon as I can get my hand on the how to I will unlock it
cause its mine