Official 1.1.1 thread for UNLOCKED iPhone users.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
I upgraded to 1.1.1 on my UNLOCKED iPhone. I am using a T-Mobile SIM card.

After updating, my phone was asking me to re-activate. I tried downloading the newest 1.1.1 firmware and activating via iNdependence but no dice.

Now I can't get into recovery mode to try a store via iTunes for some reason. When I connect my phone to iTunes, I'm told there is an incorrect SIM.

Even the original SIM card is showing up as unsupported in iTunes now!

Cliff notes: DO NOT upgrade your unlocked iPhones just yet.

EDIT: So I found out the hard way that you should NOT upgrade your unlocked phone yet. Once you go 1.1.1, you CAN'T go back. Not even using the shift+click restore method in iTunes. There's no way at the moment, and for now I am stuck with a non functioning iPhone.

enophi

Aug 10, 2007
When you say "unlocked" do you mean using a non-AT&T SIM, or are you referring to leaving the phone in an unlocked state?

I have installer on my phone, I really don't know if it's unlocked or not, is there an easy way to tell? (Assuming the latter from above)

Thanks in advance.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
i think i will just wait for the dev/ hacker for a solution. i read somewhere else that they were able to use the phone after updating

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
When you say "unlocked" do you mean using a non-AT&T SIM, or are you referring to leaving the phone in an unlocked state?

I have installer on my phone, I really don't know if it's unlocked or not, is there an easy way to tell? (Assuming the latter from above)

Thanks in advance.
By unlocked I mean completely unlocked and using T-Mobile with the phone.

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I upgraded to 1.1.1 on my UNLOCKED iPhone. I am using a T-Mobile SIM card.

After updating, my phone was asking me to re-activate. I tried downloading the newest 1.1.1 firmware and activating via iNdependence but no dice.

Now I can't get into recovery mode to try a store via iTunes for some reason. When I connect my phone to iTunes, I'm told there is an incorrect SIM.

Even the original SIM card is showing up as unsupported in iTunes now!

Cliff notes: DO NOT upgrade your unlocked iPhones just yet.
Did you try by putting the iPhone in the white stand and do the power and home buttion again. I did this trick with the old firmware, but, don't know for the new one.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
Its not a good idea to unlock the iPhone. These updates are going to brick up unlocked phones EVERY TIME. Steve Jobs isn't stupid. Thats why I figure, forget the hassle of unlocking my phone and trying to find ways around everything. Just go with AT&T and enjoy the iPhone the way it should truly be enjoyed.

Its much less of a hassel to get legit updates knowing that for the period of my 2 year contract, Apple is supporting my iPhone for no charge.

Kudos to you that have unlocked the iPhone. But I just got 1.1.1, and its a good update. Many more things than just the iTunes Wifi store. Go to the Apple website in the iPhone section, and watch our friend Bob (Who did the guided tour) fill us in on the updates via video.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Its not a good idea to unlock the iPhone. These updates are going to brick up unlocked phones EVERY TIME. Just go with AT&T and enjoy the iPhone the way it should truly be enjoyed.

Its much less of a hassel to get legit updates knowing that for the period of my 2 year contract, Apple is supporting my iPhone for no charge.
Thanks Steve :rolleyes:

gyronic

Sep 27, 2007
Its not a good idea to unlock the iPhone. These updates are going to brick up unlocked phones EVERY TIME. Steve Jobs isn't stupid. Thats why I figure, forget the hassle of unlocking my phone and trying to find ways around everything. Just go with AT&T and enjoy the iPhone the way it should truly be enjoyed.

Kudos to you that have unlocked the iPhone. But I just got 1.1.1, and its a good update. Many more things than just the iTunes Wifi store. Go to the Apple website in the iPhone section, and watch our friend Bob (Who did the guided tour) fill us in on the updates via video.

Yes and you must take your car to an authorized repair shop. God forbid you open the hood and repair it or modify it yourself.

Take what they give you... Good plan.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
Don't hate on me because my iPhone is working and yours isn't now. I chose to be legit with this phone, and I've had a great experience so far.

Seriously, wish I knew something to help. Ill let you know if I find a good thread.

There will probably be a solution discovered this afternoon.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States

LOL sorry, I sound like a friggin Apple infomercial.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
LOL I realize it's going to be back and forth between Apple and modders, much like the PSP. I just jumped the gun here instead of waiting for the modders to strike back.
And the modders will too. Theres probably hundreds of thousands of people working on it right now as we speak...

Apple may have stopped modders for an hour, but before the end of the day, even unlocked iPhones will be 1.1.1, I just know it.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
And the modders will too. Theres probably hundreds of thousands of people working on it right now as we speak...

Apple may have stopped modders for an hour, but before the end of the day, even unlocked iPhones will be 1.1.1, I just know it.

hundreds of thousands?

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 Is Out, Now Testing for Unlocked iPhones Bricking [UPDATE: It doesn't brick it]

Update 3:26PM: OK, I have updated to 1.1.1 in my unlocked iPhone. It works. You have to put the AT&T card before starting. Video upcoming. Testing of unlock too.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/Apple/ip...ting-for-unlocked-iphones-bricking-304497.php
I was just going to post this! Looks like there might be some hope, but it also might be too late for me since I already upgraded using the T-Mobile SIM. Trying to restore with the original SIM, but that probably won't make a difference.