Official iPhone 3GS pricing.

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
This is to completely stop all confusion and outrage.

iPhone 3G 8GB $99 (black)
iPhone 3GS 16GB $199 (black or white)
iPhone 3GS 32GB $299 (black or white)

This price is for current AT&T customers that are out of their 2 year contract or are new customers to AT&T. People who bought the 3G iPhone last year still have 1 year left so they cant get subsidized price.

iPhone 3G 8GB $299 (black)
iPhone 3GS 16GB $399 (black or white)
iPhone 3GS 32GB $499 (black or white)

This pricing is for people that want to upgrade to iPhone 3G or 3GS but are still under their 2 year contract. I don't no why these prices seem shocking to people because when the V1 iPhone came out it was even more expensive then this. (later dropped to these prices.)

iPhone 3GS 16GB 599 (black or white)
iPhone 3GS 23GB 699 (black or white)

These prices are the price you will pay if you buy an iPhone without years of your precious life sold off to a wireless carrier like it's a cheap piece of meat.

People upgrading from V1 to 3G got the subsidized price because they didn't buy the V1 iPhone for a subsidized price so you still qualified for a phone at a subsidized price.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Most of you probably already knew this but I thought I would type it anyway.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
thank you!
I will be selling my current 16GB for $400 and buy a 32GB for $500

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I already pre-ordered my 32gb 3Gs iPhone, but when should we expect a price drop? Around Christmas time?

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
The funny and quite odd thing is that the early termination fee is quite a bit lower than the difference in price for buying out of contract. This is basically only for people who are going to unlock, which no one knows when that will be possible with the 3GS.

May 6, 2007
United States
I already pre-ordered my 32gb 3Gs iPhone, but when should we expect a price drop? Around Christmas time?
To be honest, I don't know if we're going to see a price drop any time soon. The 3G obviously won't go any lower than it is, but the 3GS is at the same pricing that the 3G was at for the last year. It seems that Apple likes this pricing scheme, and will probably stick with it.

So, to be honest, I doubt the price is going to change any time soon.

Jul 28, 2007
i'm a current customer still under contract and both my wife and i are eligible for upgrades...when i go and place order on Apple.com i'm eligible for 16gb for $199 plus tax...just ordered them so i know...that doesn't jibe with the numbers you put up...

This is to completely stop all confusion and outrage.

iPhone 3G 8GB $99 (black)
iPhone 3GS 16GB $199 (black or white)
iPhone 3GS 32GB $299 (black or white)

This price is for current AT&T customers that are out of their 2 year contract or are new customers to AT&T. People who bought the 3G iPhone last year still have 1 year left so they cant get subsidized price.

This pricing is for people that want to upgrade to iPhone 3G or 3GS but are still under their 2 year contract. I don't no why these prices seem shocking to people because when the V1 iPhone came out it was even more expensive then this. (later dropped to these prices.)

iPhone 3GS 16GB 599 (black or white)
iPhone 3GS 23GB 699 (black or white)

These prices are the price you will pay if you buy an iPhone without years of your precious life sold off to a wireless carrier like it's a cheap piece of meat.

People upgrading from V1 to 3G got the subsidized price because they didn't buy the V1 iPhone for a subsidized price so you still qualified for a phone at a subsidized price.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Most of you probably already knew this but I thought I would type it anyway.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
koredfish, everyone's subsidy eligibility point with AT&T is different. It's based on when you bought your last subsidized phone (the 3G for example) and how much you spend per month with them. Perhaps how long you've been a customer too, I'm not sure. But that doesn't negate any of the figures the OP posted.

May 6, 2007
United States
So, now even I'm getting a little confused here :).

Just to clarify, the last phone I got was the iPhone V1. So, it'll have been two years. Do I qualify for the $199/$299 pricing this June 29th then if I open up a new 2-year contract?

I could call AT&T, but I'd rather save the trouble.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The V1 was never subsidized. So if that was your last phone two years ago, you definitely, 100% qualify for full subsidy. You've been eligible for quite a while now.

kgil79

Aug 16, 2007
I bought the v1 and v2 versions. My account says I will qualify for the standard upgrade on 7/31/09. However I called ATT and they said I can get a 3gs 32gb for 299 as soon as it is available 6/19.

Fudd

Dec 7, 2008
Thiensville, WI
What I don't understand is why there are three tiers of pricing for the 3GS? This is a little confusing because it seems like the base price for the 32GB 3GS is $699.

In my case, I purcased two phones last December, so I'm under contract for another year and a half. No problem there - I know the rules. When I bought my phones, AT&T subsidized them for $200 each.

Hypothetically, if I were out of contract, I could buy a 32 GB 3GS for $299 and obligate for two years to get a $200 subsidy on the phone.

According to the OP, if I'm under contract, the 2nd tier of pricing means that I could get a 3GS for $499. So that's $200 more than the out of contract price, but $200 less than the unsubsidized price. I assume that means that AT&T gets an additional 2 year commitment added to the end of my current contract to do this. Am I reading their offer correctly? It seems that AT&T is a). Discounting the phone by $400 for new customers off the $699 list price, or b). Really jamming it to existing customers by floating the list price up to $699 which is really $200 more than the normal "no contract" price.

Also, unless you're close to the end of your contract, that's a very long time to be committed. If you're near the end of the contract, wait it out and get the $299 price. If not, bet that during your additional two years the technology doesn't change / get better / more carriers become available, your don't drop the damn thing / it lasts that long. That's quite a wager.

This pricing doesn't make any sense.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I've been with Cingular/ATT for 7 years this month and last upgraded in Feb. '08 to a Q9h. According to my account status page, I'm eligible for discount pricing on July 12th. It feels like a month before Christmas.

YMMV

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

I have some questions about this pricing. Look at these scenarios:

1. I am a new customer. I buy a 3G for $99 and start my two year contract. Can I now go ahead and also buy a 3G S for $399/$499, since I am still under my two year contract (that just started) from the 3G?
2. I am a current customer with a 3G and I can buy the 3G S for $399/$499. Can I just keep buying new 3G S iPhones for $399/$499, since each time I do it, I am within my 2 year contract still, even though I just keep renewing it?

I guess basically what I'm asking is, how far into your 2 year contract do you have to be to get the $399/$499 pricing? Because if the above scenarios are true, I can pick up a LOT of iPhones for $399 and sell them on eBay contract free.

Jun 26, 2007
Nope, the 399/499 are early upgrade fees for those who have a 2 year contract and are not upgrade eligible.
You would have to buy it for 599/699 and then sell it on eBay, otherwise you are gunna have a ****load of 2 year contracts.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Nope, the 399/499 are early upgrade fees for those who have a 2 year contract and are not upgrade eligible.
You would have to buy it for 599/699 and then sell it on eBay, otherwise you are gunna have a ****load of 2 year contracts.
That's what I'm saying. If you go out and buy a 3G or 3G S you are then within a 2 year contract and are not upgrade eligible. So you should be able to get as many as your want at $399/$499 as long as each time you renew your contract. They call it an early upgrade, but they never specify HOW early it can be, i.e. one hour after you just signed, one day, one week, etc.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
Also, for that reason, I AT&T has a 2 phone return policy for every two years... other wise, people would be buying a new phone every 30 days to "test" it.

Jun 26, 2007
Im sure there are restrictions on that, though it is a sneaky idea.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
People who bought the 3G iPhone last year still have 1 year left so they cant get subsidized price.
I called AT&T and they told me I can get the 3GS at the subsidized price, and I bought my 3G last July, one year ago. What's up?