Official iPhone SDK in January?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tundra

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
New Jersey
Businessweek reports that Apple may indeed be launching an official software development kit at this January's Macworld Expo.

According to "sources familiar with the company's plans":
Apple will release a software-development kit for the iPhone in early 2008, enabling programmars to create games, businesss-productivity tools, and countless other applications for the device.

This is the latest iteration of rumors that Apple will or will not be introducing an official software development kit for the iPhone. At present, Apple's official stance is that applications for the iPhone should be written using web-technologies (HTML/Javascript) to be accessible through the iPhone's Safari.

A number of conflicting reports have expressed beliefs that Apple would further expand these Web tools or invite specific developers to produce true applications on the iPhone.

cleary5

Sep 26, 2007
I really doubt we will ever see apple-endorsed native 3rd party apps on the iPhone. I could see an expansion of webapp tools and maybe an upgrade to the capabilities of mobile Safari, but I think Apple is pretty committed to sticking to it's original plan.

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
I really doubt we will ever see apple-endorsed native 3rd party apps on the iPhone. I could see an expansion of webapp tools and maybe an upgrade to the capabilities of mobile Safari, but I think Apple is pretty committed to sticking to it's original plan.

Don't underestimate the potential of Apple doing something like this and charging for it. I could see that as being very possible.