Official iPhone Software Update 1.0.2 Discussion

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
volume change

I noticed a big difference in call volume through the earphones while at the gym today.
Not sure if it's related, but when I called the Wife's work # from my iPhone, she said I sounded louder to her as well.:laugh2:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Ok, I think I have found a change the update made.

Email: I have 3 accounts setup on my iphoine but I check them individually so not to have to go through them all. Well now when I go to the root email list it auto checks them all without going into the accounts.
My mail has always done that.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
its funny to read everyones "wishful thinking" changes.....

90% of the "updates" people are seeing , were there from the beginning and the other 10% is pure speculation lol.
I know, it's pretty funny. It's like a bunch of villagers seeing the Virgin Marry in tree bark. :p

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I know, it's pretty funny. It's like a bunch of villagers seeing the Virgin Marry in tree bark. :p
lol true enough but you really want an update to do SOMETHING noticeable. Especially with so many obvious things that could be fixed or improved. People may or not be patient but you can't blame them for having hope when an update finally does appear. This one appears to do less than the first. I have no problem if it fixed some infrastructure issues only. It would have been nice if we'd at least been thrown a small bone...

eric325

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Updated mine last night. browse through it - did not notice anything. I know for sure the speaker volume is still the same as before.

Rapidfurious

Jul 17, 2007
Midwest US
Ive noticed a change.

Throughout my use of 1.0.1 safari crashed twice at most. Today, in 1.0.2 it crashed 3x's. :p

Coincidence I'm sure, but an inconvenient one at that.

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
This may be one of those placebo efffects, but so far it seems like my email is running much better than the last update. I can't quantify it exactly, but I was having a lot of hangups and freezes in the last patch. And I would constantly see the little spinning wheel going even after the message said it was done updating. Sometimes it would freeze up, other times it would just keep spinning a while and then stop, then start up again kind of randomly. Now it shuts off and everything seems smoother once it's stopped. We'll see how long that lasts or if it's all in my head :cool:.

I'm hoping that the email issue was also what was causing what seemed like worse battery times during that last update, and that it will improve closer to what I was getting with the original release.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
This may just be me or something going on in my area or with my iPhone (starting to think i got a lemon) but my service has gone DOWN HILL. I live in an area where we have a weak signal anyway but now its gone to almost useless/unusable since the update last night. My brother's iPhone even while sitting right next to me isn't having the same "issue" and he didn't do the update yet

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
Uh Oh! Trouble. . .

my phone was jailbroken as well.
I restored first, then it automatically downloaded and installed the updated version of software.
Then it asked if I wanted to restore the backup. I clicked yes.
Restored my phone, rebooted, notes there, contacts there, favorites there.
It erased my email passwords--put them back in.
It even told me the phone was activated.
But everytime I try to use EDGE (Safari, YouTube, Email) it gives me the following error message: "Could not activate EDGE. You are not subscribed to EDGE."
It worked fine before. . .any ideas?

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I restored first, then it automatically downloaded and installed the updated version of software.
But everytime I try to use EDGE (Safari, YouTube, Email) it gives me the following error message: "Could not activate EDGE. You are not subscribed to EDGE."
Alright so please excuse me if I missed something within' these last couple of threads. So if your iPhone was Jailbroken and you restored it first, does that mean you were able to install the update problem free without any of those errors people are talking about? Or was the forceful restore & recover inevitable to all of those who Jailbroke their iPhones? That's my main concern, I just need a head's up for the next update that way I can restore first next time, instead of doing check and install updates right away.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
Alright so please excuse me if I missed something within' these last couple of threads. So if your iPhone was Jailbroken and you restored it first, does that mean you were able to install the update problem free without any of those errors people are talking about? Or was the forceful restore & recover inevitable to all of those who Jailbroke their iPhones? That's my main concern, I just need a head's up for the next update that way I can restore first next time, instead of doing check and install updates right away.
No, I restored FIRST before I upgraded. When I did that it automatically began and downloaded the new version to reboot with.

I did it with NO errors whatsoever.

But, then look what's happened now. . .No one can tell me why.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
UPDATE:

well, well, well. I called Apple Care, they had me cycle Airplane Mode, then power cycle the phone. Then they told me to call AT&T at their special number directly to iPhone Support (877-777-4192), which was not a valid number.

I then called AT&T myself, after a few things (same as before) they xfer me to Apple Care. Then not long after the Apple Care guy xfer me to AT&T but stayed on the phone with me.

They took my data plan off then added it back. . .still didn't work. Hung up with them and the Apple Care guy said the following:
There's only 4 things that can be wrong with this problem:
1. The Data Plan/EDGE Provisions aren't set correctly (they were)
2. The EDGE Service is out in my area (according to AT&T, it isn't)
3. Bad SIM Card
4. The antenna in my phone that picks up EDGE & Wi-fi not working.

It still makes/receives calls and sends/receives texts fine. (I did not know there was a separate antenna for EDGE/Wi-fi!)

Sooooo, I have to get a new SIM Card from AT&T and activate. If it still doesn't work he will make an appointment for me @ the Apple Store to turn it in for repairs while getting a FREE loaner.

Nice guy, even sent me an email w/ his contact info.

He would NOT admit that it had anything to do with the upgrade to 1.02.

Kinda strange that RIGHT before I updated the software (I'm talking about seconds before) it was working fine then all of a sudden. . .poof!

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
UPDATE:

well, well, well. I called Apple Care, they had me cycle Airplane Mode, then power cycle the phone. Then they told me to call AT&T at their special number directly to iPhone Support (877-777-4192), which was not a valid number.

I then called AT&T myself, after a few things (same as before) they xfer me to Apple Care. Then not long after the Apple Care guy xfer me to AT&T but stayed on the phone with me.

They took my data plan off then added it back. . .still didn't work. Hung up with them and the Apple Care guy said the following:
There's only 4 things that can be wrong with this problem:
1. The Data Plan/EDGE Provisions aren't set correctly (they were)
2. The EDGE Service is out in my area (according to AT&T, it isn't)
3. Bad SIM Card
4. The antenna in my phone that picks up EDGE & Wi-fi not working.

It still makes/receives calls and sends/receives texts fine. (I did not know there was a separate antenna for EDGE/Wi-fi!)

Sooooo, I have to get a new SIM Card from AT&T and activate. If it still doesn't work he will make an appointment for me @ the Apple Store to turn it in for repairs while getting a FREE loaner.

Nice guy, even sent me an email w/ his contact info.

He would NOT admit that it had anything to do with the upgrade to 1.02.

Kinda strange that RIGHT before I updated the software (I'm talking about seconds before) it was working fine then all of a sudden. . .poof!
Wow, that sounds like a horror story to me, but the fact that the guy would set you up for an appointment @ the Apple Store to turn it in for repairs while getting a FREE loaner is nice to know, still kinda scared of the next update though because of the restoring problems.

I don't understand all the comments about wifi being faster; wifi speed is ultimately limited by the speed of the connection to which the wireless router is connected. In other words, if my home network has only 512K DSL, then the wifi max will be limited by that speed.

The edge connection is totally different story. My edge has always tested at about 56 to 70K, no better. I test using DSL Reports iPhone test which can test moibile or broadband (wifi). It is located at http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html. It shows that overall edge tests averaged 124K (over 5,000 tests) but the most recent 24 hours average is 164K.

Don't really know what to make of that, but there it is. :confused:

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
I don't understand all the comments about wifi being faster; wifi speed is ultimately limited by the speed of the connection to which the wireless router is connected. In other words, if my home network has only 512K DSL, then the wifi max will be limited by that speed.
Um... in San Diego I can get cable access with Cox at 12 Mbps.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The update ate my iPhone.

I Just Synced And The New Update Is Here 1.02! But It Just Has More Bug Fixes...
I already told the sad story of wasting my evening yesterday, but today it was worse.
I connected iPhone to the computer, iTunes didn't recognize it. It wanted me to restore again.
I did. Then, it told me I couldn't sync because my total capacity was 265 MB!
I had to restore again, and then sync again.
I still have my contacts, but everything else is gone: favorites, all my mail, SMS, all preferences like weather, stocks and more important, ALL MY NOTES.
And I faithfully sync'd every day, so "I wouldn't lose anything".
Not fair.

Tell me again what this update is supposed to do, short of erasing everything?

Um... in San Diego I can get cable access with Cox at 12 Mbps.
That's great, I'm limited at about 6M. If I test from my wired PC (bypassing the wireless) I get 5410Kbps. If I test via a wireless laptop I get 3505Kbps. If I test via my iPhone using wifi I get about 3133Kbps. So, I see a fair decrease in throughput just by using the wireless and an additional small decrease using the iPhone, but I don't thinhk it is significant.

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone wifi, but the edge connection certainly sucks. What are others getting using the DSL Reports iPhone test using edge? My 70K is slow.