Official iPhone Software Update 1.01 Discussion

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
DITTO - my iPhone was far better prior to the update.
I wish this thread were a poll. I suspect the overwhelming majority of users updated their iPhone without issue, and with no degradation (most of which I personally think is coincidental).

But again, a poll would at least give a better view (probably not now as the only people left seem to be those having issues).

--
Mike

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
As much as I love my iPhone, it's almost worse than a windows pc! I've seen so many ppl, with all different types of glitches. I've not had a single problem w/my iPhone, before and after the update. At least with a windows pc, everyone has the same problems :laugh2:. What's with this phone? Dozens of ppl with different problems, dozens with no problems! Every iPhone runs the same OS and the same programs, yet there are many completely different issues, or none at all.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
I suggest you guys do a soft reset by holding the sleep/home button for a few seconds.. After the update I had several issues of crashing, lagginess and so on, been perfect since and I didn't lose anything! :cool:

motuser

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
As much as I love my iPhone, it's almost worse than a windows pc! I've seen so many ppl, with all different types of glitches. I've not had a single problem w/my iPhone, before and after the update. At least with a windows pc, everyone has the same problems :laugh2:. What's with this phone? Dozens of ppl with different problems, dozens with no problems! Every iPhone runs the same OS and the same programs, yet there are many completely different issues, or none at all.
You're absolutely right. Is it because the device is so complex, flawed, or both? For a "premium" product at the expensive end of cell phones, I wish Apple would have tested it (particularly syncing!) on various platforms, with various software installations, and TRAINED their Genius Bar people before releasing it. I don't have an unusual setup (ThinkPad, XP SP2, IE 6, Office 2003, Palm software, iPod Video) and I'm not comfortable that I'm not going to lose my contacts, etc. Bookmarks have never synced. Don't get me wrong, I love my phone, but it's got way too many miscellaneous bugs that keep popping up. I wish Apple would release its own iTunes/PC backup utility and not rely on Outlook or Yahoo - that way they could be sure it worked. If I could easily do it again I would wait for Version 2. I'm telling my friends to wait...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
For a "premium" product at the expensive end of cell phones, I wish Apple would have tested it (particularly syncing!) on various platforms, with various software installations, and TRAINED their Genius Bar people before releasing it.
The answer is that they did do that. Doesn't mean every single person will have the exact same result. Stuff happens. It happens on other smartphones too. Googling "treo sync problem" leads to plenty of people with problems.

I don't have an unusual setup (ThinkPad, XP SP2, IE 6, Office 2003, Palm software, iPod Video) and I'm not comfortable that I'm not going to lose my contacts, etc. Bookmarks have never synced.
I have similar setups, and have no issue with syncing--including bookmarks.

If I did have a problem the first thing I would have done is completely remove any trace of Palm software. (Almost did that anyway, as I've had issues with having more than one syncing tool in the past.)

Don't get me wrong, I love my phone, but it's got way too many miscellaneous bugs that keep popping up. I wish Apple would release its own iTunes/PC backup utility and not rely on Outlook or Yahoo - that way they could be sure it worked.
I thought iTunes already did do a complete backup of the iPhone?

--
Mike

pegva

Aug 6, 2007
Central Virginia
Me Too

updated! no problems, didn't have to restore anything, ringtones are still there, one thing i did noticed is the usage thing works again, when i charged my iPhone, it showed that it was 100% charged as of before the update it never showed on the green battery that it was full, so i guess they fixed that. haven't had any problems at all, now Apple needs to work on a better update rather than just minor / security fixes
This is the problem I was having... it's fixed since the update. Also, doesn't seem to drop out of Safari or ipod like before.

peg

bw2151

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
calendar

I just noticed that i am missing calendar items from outlook and iPhone - didn't happen befpre the update - this is bad:mad:

motuser

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Congrats to those that have everything working for them. Not everyone is as lucky as you and that's why many of us are on a message board.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Congrats to those that have everything working for them. Not everyone is as lucky as you and that's why many of us are on a message board.
haven't gotten my iPhone just yet...however, when i do, i wonder if the update will already be on it...if not, how do i get it..

dongtea

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Is there any consolidated list of fixes? They have the security fixes on their site, but there are many others (the bcc thing, BT fixes) and I'd like to see what's up . . .

iRon

Aug 8, 2007
NorCal
My experience with the update and fixing my email issues

Prior to the 1.01 update, I had very few glitches that would crop up during normal use, but it usually consisted of the occasional glitch during a phone call or an application closing unexpectedly and returning to the home screen. Everything continued to function after those glitches disappeared, so I could live with it. I hoped the update would address these minor issues and make some improvements regarding iPhone features. I think, like everyone else, I hoped for too much too soon. If this last update is any indication, there will be more updates to address glitches like this before we see "upgrades" or new features on the phone. For now, we seem to be a continuation of the beta testers.

After I updated to the new software (both iTunes and the iPhone firmware update), I found some new problems occurring that I didn't experience before. They primarily affected email functionality. Shortly after the update, I had a problem sending emails, so I did a reset, then a restore. That didn't fix it, so I gave it some time to see if it was a server issue. It doesn't appear that was the problem. (Note: my phone is/was not modded at all and I have a Comcast email account run through POP).

While waiting to see if the send email function would come back, I noticed these other problems popping up:

1. Mail began having difficulty downloading emails.
2. Mail continued to have difficulty sending emails.
3. Mail was showing a number of unread messages next to the icon on the home screen, even though I downloaded and read all the messages already.
4. Under "Mailboxes," it displayed the "Inbox" folder like before, but no longer displayed the "Trash" folder.

When these problems started appearing, I tried re-entering my email password in settings. When that didn't work, I also entered my username and password under the outgoing mail server section in Settings. This section was optional when I first set everything up and everything worked then, but I figure I'd try anything. When that didn't work, I deleted the whole account and re-entered everything. When that didn't work, I did a reset on the phone. Finally, these functions returned to normal. I didn't have to do a full restore - just the reset.

So, as of now, I have my email account set up like before, with the addition of my username and password under the outgoing mail settings. Mail sends and receives, recognizes read/unread mail, and I have my Trash folder back. Hopefully this helps someone. I know it's frustrating. :mad:

EdmondT

Jul 6, 2007
Now iTunes can't see my iPhone

well, I downloaded the new versions of software for iTunes and the iPhone, and now when I try and synch the two, I get a message saying that iTunes can't recognize my phone.

They say that I should use the summary tab in iTunes to revert my iPhone software back to the original, but since ITumes can't see my iPhone, I can't get to the tab which does this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edmond

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
just make sure your USB cradle is actually plugged into your computer and not into a hub, I noticed that my cradle doesn't like hubs or keyboards with USB ports on them. If that's not it may want to check in your BIOS and check the speed of your usb ports, think I had to slow my ports down for something one time. Hope this helps ya!

From my iPhone

EdmondT

Jul 6, 2007
Problem

No, that's not the problem. I've had the iPhone since day one, and it was only after that new software came out htat the problem developed.

My iTunes does not recognize my iPhone.

HELP!

Edmond

bigyack

Aug 7, 2007
Reset

did you do a hard reset until it said connect to iTunes? Copy your iTunes library to a folder then un install iTunes re install iTunes do a hard reset and connect to the computer using your dock

ofearthandfire

Aug 17, 2007
beware the iPatch...

How inconvenient is this patch? I tried to update my iPhone but as soon as the update started my phone disconnected from iTunes. Tried again, and again...same thing and would receive an error "iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred(0xE8000013)." :(

I had to restore my iPhone...but wait! It went through the "erase" portion of my restore and then gave me an error that my iPhone timed out (after 5 minutes of restoring process) and that "iTunes could not connect to iPhone because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000025)" . :mad:

So...there I went again, starting the restore all over again. After another 3 minutes it brought me to where I could restore my backup from my previous settings, which went smoothly, THANK GOODNESS! The patch update worked after all of this.

iPhone is ridiculously inconvenient for the money. I haven't tested out the email deletion process since the update...I better be able to erase multiple emails after all of this hassle! I will be testing it later today.:sick: