Official iPhone Software Update 2.1 Discussion

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
OK, I think I got mine fixed. I can already tell a big difference with how things are running. Tomorrow I will test how well the battery does.
Here is what I did.
1) manually backed up my notes and pics.
2) went into settings, general, reset, and erase all data and settings - yeah, it took an hour.
3) set my phone back up as new. That means setting up my email accounts again, my brightness, ringtones, everything that you have ever adjusted or setup. I did NOT use one of my backups.
4) synced my calendar and contacts back onto the phone
5) synced my music & Video back on.
6) went into Applications and synced only the apps I had on before the 2.1 update.

So far things like Labrynth are now running smoothly. When I open settings or SMS, I can count "one, one thousand; two, one thousand" and it would be up. (during those approx. 2 seconds though, I have a blank screen.) Once they are open, no stutter, hiccups or hesitations. and my backup when I synced everything was VERY DAMN FAST. I didn't have that before on 2.1.
Why erase all data and settings instead of a restore? because it cleans the OS of anything left on the system including anything from previous versions of Firmware- especially if I was jailbroken before. restoring can and does leave things in the OS. I know, because I when I jailbroke 113 and then went to 114 and jailbroke much later on, I still had 3rd party app folders in the system that still had files in them BEFORE I installed anthing.
So, where does that leave me? It leaves me wondering if one or both the 2 apps I didn't sync are to blame. Aurora Feint and Midomi. Both were free and I am leaning towards Midomi, since it doesn't work that well to start with, but I have no other evidence to support my suspicions.
either way, so far, so good. Keeping my fingers crossed and I am sacrificing a lamb later tonight to Steve Jobs to bless my V1 phone.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I have auto-Brightness on, but I have the slider over the "i" in the word brightness. That might be a bit low for many people, but I have no problems indoors, and if I am using it in daylight for more than a call, I'll change it, but that is rare.
But doesn't the actual sensing unit itself suck up battery power?

So, even if you have your slider turned down very low with the auto-brightness on, just the nature of having a sensor on all the time seems like it would drain the battery faster than if it was turned off.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
But doesn't the actual sensing unit itself suck up battery power?

So, even if you have your slider turned down very low with the auto-brightness on, just the nature of having a sensor on all the time seems like it would drain the battery faster than if it was turned off.

Does auto brightness actually control the power of the light sensor itself? Or does auto brightness only change the brightness of the screen?

If the light sensor and proximity sensor are on the same power grid, would the light sensor ever actually get turned off?

Curious.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have always had my brightness down that low with auto brightness on and before 2.1 I had great battery life.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I forgot the last time it happened to me, but I seem to think it was while typing in Safari. Anyway, it's more sporadic, so I hope it gets fixed in a future update, but it doesn't bum me out.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
I had the x key go wild one time and that was after I hit several times in a row like 5 or 6 and it deleted the whole thing, now I pause beteen hits and it has nor re- occurred.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
just found another battery hog. As some of you know, the communications board in my v1 died. No service, no wifi, no BT. So I was able to get to the home screen using quickpwn, but that's it.
Here is what I found. Clean phone, no communications, stock config with the exception of using jb to get into the phone. Location services was on. My stars showed 5 hours and 15 minutes of usage, with a day and a half of standby. The phone cannot communicate with anything, and all it's done since I charged it was sit locked on my desk. So where did the usage come from? Location services. Keep it off when you don't need it.

thomson2008

Oct 22, 2008
Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls Significantly better battery life for most users Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts.

4thdimension1@gmail.com

tatara2345

Nov 6, 2008
i bought my 3g in thailand. its unlocked. If i upgrade it to 2.1 will it get blocked as i am in a foreign country.? I have a local mobile connection which works very well

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i bought my 3g in thailand. its unlocked. If i upgrade it to 2.1 will it get blocked as i am in a foreign country.? I have a local mobile connection which works very well
if it's a manufacturer unlocked phone the it will remain unlocked through the updates.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I left lots of apps in Categories folders, and when I restored and then upgraded to 2.2, none of the apps that were in folders will show up. I've I've unchecked all the apps boxes in iTunes, removed them from the iPhone, then resynced and put all the apps back in, but they still won't show up. Only the apps that weren't in folders. Any ideas?

redstar299

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You can't restore jailbroken apps from iTunes. It only allows apps from the app store. Unfortunately your out of luck for the time being. Of you updated to 2.2 via iTunes the upgrade included an update to the baseband which can't be jailbroken at this time. The only jailbreak available is to upgrade to 2.2 via Qukpawn which doesn't really upgrade the phones to 2.2 but adds the features

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
You can't restore jailbroken apps from iTunes. It only allows apps from the app store. Unfortunately your out of luck for the time being. Of you updated to 2.2 via iTunes the upgrade included an update to the baseband which can't be jailbroken at this time. The only jailbreak available is to upgrade to 2.2 via Qukpawn which doesn't really upgrade the phones to 2.2 but adds the features
LOL---they weren't jailbroken apps! I'm a little smarter than that. They are app store apps. They won't show up. I'ma hafta rejailbreak just to ssh into the iPhone, or reinstall categories in order to remove the apps from the folders, that's my guess.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sorry, Jack, that's a really messy situation you're in, and the easiest way out of it is a restore. I did the same thing and restored.