Official iPhone Software Update 2.1 Pre-release Discussion

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
iTunes update ! and iPhone update by friday

dono if anyone has seen it yet, but 8.0. i am watching attack of thw show and there is an update. i guess something called genius, were u can listen to a song, click the button and it will build a playlist baste on the songs like it. and on AOTS they said new iPhone update by friday !

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
I wasn't at the event so I don't know what was actually said, but from what I read from the engadget live post....They spent like 2 minutes on the iPhone. "2.1 is here, it fixes a couple bugs you guys have been having....NEW NANOS! CHECK THEM OUT!"

Text lag? is that going to be fixed? Where is push? If these things do come with the update, atleast let us know. This post makes me sound pissed off but I'm really not. I just wish Apple would give us a little more information instead of making us find out on our own....It is THEIR product we bought.

BlackMonsterBandit

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Dirty Jers
I wasn't at the event so I don't know what was actually said, but from what I read from the engadget live post....They spent like 2 minutes on the iPhone. "2.1 is here, it fixes a couple bugs you guys have been having....NEW NANOS! CHECK THEM OUT!"

Text lag? is that going to be fixed? Where is push? If these things do come with the update, atleast let us know. This post makes me sound pissed off but I'm really not. I just wish Apple would give us a little more information instead of making us find out on our own....It is THEIR product we bought.

I couldn't agree more. When I got my 3g I forgot shot the lack of A2DP and got a plantronics stereo headset and have been waiting to use it...still waiting. Again don't get me wrong I'm as excited about this update as the next person but from what I've read on this forum the stuff is there come on Apple. And I agree in I would also like to know more of what this update does without having to wait for someone to get it before I do and tell what it does. And just to be the devils advocate for a second, if everyone is as on edge about this update as I am I'm just waitig for us to find out this update does nothing that we all want it to do, A2DP, push, c & p, and I'm sure more I'm forgetting, sorry everyone for the rant.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I want turn by turn directions. We can easily fit the entire 3D map system on the iPhone considering how much space it has. I can get video recording via jailbreaking. But why Apple doesn't take advantage of the iPhone platform for the features that are lacking is beyond me. I feel like Kevio, not mad, but a little surprised and disappointed.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I don't believe that we will see A2DP or C&P in this update. I've been waiting for both since the first iDay. If Apple does decide to add it it will be a major revision such as 3.0 etc..

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
For a 'Let's Rock' gathering, Jobs probably didn't wan't to undermine a new product launch with "and we fixed a previously launched products' shortcomings with a software update!" much more than he felt he had to.

I think they want to completely stabilize the 3G before they dump more core and processing hogs on it like Turn by Turn, and other complex issues to the 3G such as copy & paste. Otherwise instead of whining about why we don't have it yet, everyone will whine about, why it doesn't work or keeps crashing when in use.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I really have no idea. I will try when I get up and keep trying until it hits. Probably one of the best ways to know is to stay tuned to the forum. Someone will post as soon as it is released.
...good look-...i'm not sure when i'll update...

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
My personal opinion is that Apple is waiting to see how 2.1 goes over and then, will release a 2.1.x that will include these other little updates.

I mean, we saw 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 in a matter of 3-5 weeks after the release of 2.0.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
There's a guy up here @ works who supposedly has the connections on what they're releasing a few weeks before Apple actually releases updates. But according to him this update is mainly for the 3g users. It will have bug fixes, turn by turn directions for GPS, & copy/paste but only for the 3g. Us v1 users will get nothing :( other than bug fixes. We will not get copy/paste. Again, I'm not sure how reliable his sources are but that's what he says. I hope he's wrong. I guess we'll have to wait til Friday.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
There's a guy up here @ works who supposedly has the connections on what they're releasing a few weeks before Apple actually releases updates. But according to him this update is mainly for the 3g users. It will have bug fixes, turn by turn directions for GPS, & copy/paste but only for the 3g. Us v1 users will get nothing :( other than bug fixes. We will not get copy/paste. Again, I'm not sure how reliable his sources are but that's what he says. I hope he's wrong. I guess we'll have to wait til Friday.
Don't hold your breath on turn-by-turn or CP. We would have heard something about both of those already if they were coming.

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
copy/paste for 3G users only....yeah right.
don't believe it not ever for 0.1 second.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
So I was looking over at Wired and their review of the iPod touch 2.1 software and I noticed a before and after shot of the iPod on the Touch. It now has a Search button as the last button at buttom before More. I don't have that on my phone so I'm hoping that's a new addition that they plan on adding to the iPhone as well. I've been wanting a search for my music for a while now.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
How could they make copy and paste for only 3G users? Thats not possible since we'd all be running the same version. If 2.1 has it, then it doesn't matter if its a 3g or v1.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
How could they make copy and paste for only 3G users? Thats not possible since we'd all be running the same version. If 2.1 has it, then it doesn't matter if its a 3g or v1.

You know I didn't even think about that..lol. I think once he told me it was an update mainly for the 3g users & that 3g users were getting getting copy & paste I stopped thinking straight. But then I thought maybe they built the 3g w/something that handled copy & paste that the v1 didn't.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'll just try not to "HOPE" anything that will lead to disappointment for the updates...

I'll just update on friday, and when something new IS actually added to it... it'll be bonus... that's how I'm going to deal with this from now on...

;)

FastLaneJB

Dec 27, 2007
Actually copy and paste will be a 3G only feature because the v1 iPhone doesn't have the copy and paste hardware chip installed.... Seriously though guys, if it comes both devices will get it. I also agree with the person above who believe's it won't come until 3.0 with the next iPhone. I hope it comes before then but I'm not hopeful.

As for turn by turn GPS directions and Push Notifications. Neither of these features would work on the iPod so no reason to mention them at this effect. With WiFi being the only way a Touch can get online and WiFi being disabled when the device is put asleep, push is completely pointless. No GPS hardware, no turn by turn obviously.

The GPS updates in the beta were related to the API and no mention of that being removed so they should be there for 3G users only until a developer makes an app to use them, we won't see any difference. Here is to hoping for Tom Tom to appear in the App Store soon.

As for Push Notification, that was removed from the last beta of 2.1 that Apple put out. My theory on this is that 2.1 was originally planned to come out later in September but due to all the issues with the phone they dropped this out of the firmware to concentrate on getting the fixes out ASAP. We'll then see another firmware this month or in the first week or two of the next month as a minor update with push added back in so Apple can keep their September promise or close to it.

I'm really looking forward to push notifications though as it should add to the overall experience of the device quite a bit if devs use it right.