Official iPhone Update 1.1.1 Software Update Release Discussion

mrarmbar22

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
Hey Sorry I have been looking through all of these pages and keep finding confliciting information....

Does anyone know if your iToner Ringtones still work? Thanks.
TC

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I wish you hadn't rushed to say it did work. It was reports like this that swayed me to update.

I am not blaming you, it's my fault, but I still wish I hadn't read that there was no problem with AppTapp after 1.1.1.

--
Mike
don't know if this helps or not. from berkleeboy210 on macrumors

OK. I installed AppTap on Monday, and quickly did a restore Tuesday after the PR about the "Bricking". When I restored I set it up as a new phone and not from any previous backups. I think that's the trick.

I just installed 1.1.1 and all went well w/ the install. Now must go check out the WiFi Store.
Phone: iPhone 8GB

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
don't know if this helps or not. from berkleeboy210 on macrumors

OK. I installed AppTap on Monday, and quickly did a restore Tuesday after the PR about the "Bricking". When I restored I set it up as a new phone and not from any previous backups. I think that's the trick.

I just installed 1.1.1 and all went well w/ the install. Now must go check out the WiFi Store.
Phone: iPhone 8GB
That isn't Tinman's problem.
His iPhone works fine, he is just upset that he updated and now he can't reinstall apptapp.

A modded phone will not brick and you can restore it, you don't need to set it up as a new phone. You just lose your mods and can't re-mod until they update apptapp to work with the new version.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
yes we need to figure this out. Here is a post from chupa chupa on macrumors:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but homemade ringtones (the .m4r hack) with iTunes 4.0 no longer works with the firmware upgrade. The ringtones show up in the phone but won't play.

and even more confusing:

Originally Posted by rbell
Just updated to 1.1.1, and as others have reported, any ringtones installed via iToner do not show up on the Ringtones menu. However, I setup a few contact specific ringtones–ringtones installed via iToner, and they still work!
more info from isoulastro at macrumors:

Custom ringtone still working
I'm here to confirm as well, I did the .m4a self created ringtones with 7.4.2 I never upgraded to 7.4.3 on my mac, and although the ringtones no longer shows up on my list in the iPhone, but they still work when the contact they assigned to calls. This is also true for the alarm feature, so if you had your custom ringtone assigned to something, they most likely still works.

kr3st, do your ringtones work for all calls or just for those assigned to specific contacts?

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Winter Park / Orlando, FL
it works for all my calls i have a ringtone for my gf and that still works and a ringtone for everyone and that still works. i tried from a few different phones and it still works for me. so i don't know exactly whats going on but like i said they still work and im pretty happy about this.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
it works for all my calls i have a ringtone for my gf and that still works and a ringtone for everyone and that still works. i tried from a few different phones and it still works for me. so i don't know exactly whats going on but like i said they still work and im pretty happy about this.
And well you should be happy! ha ha! Still trying to narrow down the reason why some are working and some not. That last post that worked the guy was using a mac. Are you on a mac or windows? (grasping at straws here I think)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I hope you're right, but it is possible for Apple to stop everyone. It's like trying to break into a properly secured computer. If it's done correctly, you can't do it. :(

But that's a pretty big "if".
Yes it is.

Most of what I have been reading seems to confirm my worst fears: the iPhone has been locked down as tight as the iPod Touch, which has not been jailbreaked AFAIK.

We could be in for a very long wait indeed.

From Nate True: "I’ve managed (with the help of the iPod Touch dev team) to boot the iPhone in restore verbose mode which will hopefully give us some insight into what we can do to crack the new firmware."

--
Mike

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Installed the 1.1.1 update and, not only is the speakerphone louder but the (small) bald spot on the back of my head has magically filled in with new hair! I also lost 10 lbs. and gained one full shoe size from 11 to 12!

I'll be even MORE popular with the ladies now! Thank you Apple! :D

Mark

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I wonder..
Now that the 4th row of the home screen on stock phones is in use (iTunes) what will Apple do with the screen when they run out of space? Say the next update miraculously includes 4 new applications. Will they make the screen scroll like Summerboard?

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
more info from isoulastro at macrumors:

Custom ringtone still working
I'm here to confirm as well, I did the .m4a self created ringtones with 7.4.2 I never upgraded to 7.4.3 on my mac, and although the ringtones no longer shows up on my list in the iPhone, but they still work when the contact they assigned to calls. This is also true for the alarm feature, so if you had your custom ringtone assigned to something, they most likely still works.

kr3st, do your ringtones work for all calls or just for those assigned to specific contacts?
One more small piece to the custom ringtone puzzle from castro at macrumors:

I noticed that my default ringtone was still the custom ringtone, but stupid me went and click on it to see if my custom ringtones still showed up on the list, and that made it revert back to the default one, so if you just leave it be, it'll continue to use what was there before.

cherry ghost

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Installed the 1.1.1 update and, not only is the speakerphone louder but the (small) bald spot on the back of my head has magically filled in with new hair! I also lost 10 lbs. and gained one full shoe size from 11 to 12!

I'll be even MORE popular with the ladies now! Thank you Apple! :D

Mark
pretty, pretty good.
-larry david

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

I noticed that my default ringtone was still the custom ringtone, but stupid me went and click on it to see if my custom ringtones still showed up on the list, and that made it revert back to the default one, so if you just leave it be, it'll continue to use what was there before.
thing is i went and looked through all my ringtones and i still see all of my custom ringtones and they still work with the update. mine don't default back to the original ringtone. weird...

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

before you updated you had custom ringtones right? as did i. and i had all my 3rd party apps but i didn't want try anything so what i did was i did a restore and downloaded the update at the same time then it restored it and updated it and i still have my custom ringtones. did you restore first or just update? maybe thats the key, restore then update? i don't know im just going on what i did and whats happening to other people but like i said lol im happy mine still work.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yes it is.

Most of what I have been reading seems to confirm my worst fears: the iPhone has been locked down as tight as the iPod Touch, which has not been jailbreaked AFAIK.

We could be in for a very long wait indeed.

From Nate True: "I’ve managed (with the help of the iPod Touch dev team) to boot the iPhone in restore verbose mode which will hopefully give us some insight into what we can do to crack the new firmware."

---Mike
Mike, I think you're right, it may be some time before 1.1.1 will be jailbreaked since iPod Touch hasn't been j-breaked yet. I just want my AppTapp back. I updated for TV Out and now reading it requires Apple cable with AA chip which won't be out for 3wks!

I suspect those unlocked phones out there which has not been updated will go on eBay for a handsome ransom especially to international buyers until a suitable jailbreak is obtained.

Having 1.1.1 Remorse :cool:

rasputinj

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Mike, I think you're right, it may be some time before 1.1.1 will be jailbreaked since iPod Touch hasn't been j-breaked yet. I just want my AppTapp back. I updated for TV Out and now reading it requires Apple cable with AA chip which won't be out for 3wks!

I suspect those unlocked phones out there which has not been updated will go on eBay for a handsome ransom especially to international buyers until a suitable jailbreak is obtained.

Having 1.1.1 Remorse :cool:
Thank God I am at work and did not want to do a restore at work. I will be holding off on the update, until I get back in to put the apps back in.