Official iPhone Update 1.1.1 Software Update Release Discussion

-RG-

Sep 18, 2007
well I kept my expectations low but I'm still disappointed. The only thing I was looking forward to was the opportunity to download my podcasts directly to the phone. However it appears that since they are free Apple had no intention of providing me with this ability.

The only other update of any interest at all was the speakerphone improvement, but having trialed it i still have to hold the thing four inches from my ear. Sure am glad they took three months to get this shiite right!

I am disgusted with this pos device and pos company.

I would be happy to get $300 for it. Any takers?

What podcast are you looking for, you can stream all espn podcasts' by going here http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/iPhone/ if your looking for some other podcast go to who offers it and tell them to make it accessable via safari browser, I use my on edge and it is awesome

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Winter Park / Orlando, FL
I think I will stick with my 3rd party apps over an update. There is really nothing in the update that I want/need except for louder speaker. I wont use the TV out, and the other things that were listed. I love some of the 3rd party apps, so I will stay away from the update for now.
Thats good man to each their own. doesn't really bother me that bad it was nice having them but i can also live without them. A louder speaker would be nice too. But its cool i can live with out 3rd party apps.

halfofalmost

Sep 18, 2007
Texas
So i have a question unrelated to all of your hacker stories, how on earth do i tie my phone to my actual iTunes account? Connected to a wifi network, i click to buy/download a song, and it says that no account information is found, and to connect to iTunes to set it up. then when i connect the phone to the pc with iTunes running, i see no option/setting for this

any help? :(

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
open up iTunes and then at the top click the store tab, at the bottom of that menu should be a way to create an iTunes store account. It does require you either having paypal or a credit card though even though it doesn't charge you anything.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
So I installed the update (don't ask why, I know it would mess up the installer but I wanted to see the update for myself) I gotta say that for everyone who hasn't updated yet and hasn't tried the installer program TRY THE INSTALLER FIRST! My iPhone didn't get much louder. Maybe a little for music but not calls or speaker phone. And after all is said and done you basically get a couple little functions and a WiFi store (you cant even buy with EDGE). I think this update is kind of lame and now when I have a couple mins of free time when I grab my iPhone I'm bored. No more checking if anything new came out with AppTapp. No more playing LightsOut or messing around with themes. Its just stock and a stock iPhone is kind lame. With the installer installed I would often check for new updates, play a game, mess with a theme, and do various other things I can no longer do. But wooohoooo I can buy an MP3 from my phone.

The install went FINE with a modded phone (had AppTapp installed and a BUNCH of programs installed from the installer) and it didn't even need a restore. Though I'm thinking of doing a restore tonight because I think the installer left stuff on my phone and I would like to start from scratch now and not have that space taken up.

AppTapp vs Apple Update?
APPTAPP ALL THE WAY!

Now everyone I know (who also Ive turned on to the installer) are all waiting for the new AppTapp that supports 1.1.1 before they do it and have looked at my phone with the "new patch" and have basically said "Yeah right! Not worth it"

My suggestion is don't INSTALL THE UPDATE BUT INSTALL APPTAPP INSTEAD!

Just my $0.02

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
Password log-in capitalization bug with 1.1.1, 1.1.2 fix soon?

I also posted this in its own topic because it affects people logging in here so I thought it warranted a separate topic, but I see this is the "official" topic about version 1.1.1 of the iPhone so I'll also add what I wrote here:

I noticed that this bug came in with version 1.1.1 of iPhone today:

When logging into any website forum, such as this one, now the capitalization key on the iPhone acts weird when putting in your password.

When tapping the capitalization button (and not a double-tap) it now remains on and makes not just the first letter you type after that a capital letter, but all of them -- until you manually turn off the capitalization. It is now acting as if you double-clicked it, but does not turn blue (assuming you have enabled this in your settings).

This messed me up many times today before I saw/realized that the capitalization button was not turning off automatically after a letter was pressed after turning the button on, as it used to do (and probably is supposed to do).

I don't think this is a new "feature" but a new bug, and I point it out to all reading this who are wondering why they are all of a sudden having trouble logging into this forum (and all similar forums: it is happening on my Disney Echo forum as well).

I've reported this bug to Apple tonight, but this is a heads-up to all until they put out another revision, fixing this bug.

Well, if Apple soon releases versions 1.1.2 of the iPhone software, I think we'll know why! :laugh2:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
For those who value their 3rd party apps, do not update.

I foolishly believed a few preliminary reports that said there was no issue with installed apps. There is.

Worse, it won't restore to 1.0.2 (hold down shift when clicking "Restore" and you can choose your own restore image--but it doesn't work with 1.0.2).

So I am stuck with 1.1.1 and none of my apps. But I have the iTunes WiFi store. Whoop-dee-do.

I could shoot myself right now.

BTW: After restoring (I've had to restore to 1.1.1 about 4 times now) if you agree to use the backup data you no longer need to re-input WiFi passwords anymore.

--
Mike
I am so sorry that you lost your Apps. I have read many of your posts stating how much you loved your APPs. I think it is ashame that a company releases basically a worthless update, then disables all the wonderful features you installed. I think Apple is starting to piss a lot of people off. I think that they missed the point. We bought our phone from Apple, they no longer own it, but they are trying to retain ownership with this foolishness. Disgusting, if you ask me! M

halfofalmost

Sep 18, 2007
Texas
open up iTunes and then at the top click the store tab, at the bottom of that menu should be a way to create an iTunes store account. It does require you either having paypal or a credit card though even though it doesn't charge you anything.

I have an active iTunes account, will or can it use that one?

And im talking about the iTunes widget on my already-activated, non-modded iPhone.

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
Upgrade

The speakerphone is definitely louder - nice. Stocks and temperatures are more manageable now. There is a difference if you check settings and ATT - no more numbers, just touch and you get a text message. The only other thing I've checked so far is the Wi-Fi feature and downloaded the new Reba McEntire album (which is super) in about 2.5 minutes

IB386

Jul 3, 2007
scared

i added unauthorized apps (send a song) which sends any song in my iTunes to my sound tones as a ringtone...should i uninstall it before i update?..will it damage my phone?...please anyone advise...thanks

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
It will usually only make you restore it if you have hacked your iPhone.

EDIT: I didn't hack mine and it made me restore...
I had to restore mine--and that made me nervous...but it all worked out!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i added unauthorized apps (send a song) which sends any song in my iTunes to my sound tones as a ringtone...should i uninstall it before i update?..will it damage my phone?...please anyone advise...thanks
If your phone is locked, it shouldn't be damaged. The "unauthorized apps" will be gone after the update, though.

Denise

Aug 8, 2007
1.1.1 Bug Fixes?

Does anyone know if 1.1.1 fixes the problems people have been having with iTunes not recognizing the iPhone or the bug that results in your place being lost in an audiobook after you sync?