Official iPhone Update 1.1.1 Software Update Release Discussion

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Original SIM or not?

Hi everyone,
For those of you that have successfuly upgraded your firmwire on a locked phone....are you using the original SIM card that came with the phone? I've been reading numerous posts where people, who have never tried unlocking their phone, have been getting a SIM card error message after attempting the upgrade. These people had at one point in time, exhanged their phone, but instead of getting a new SIM card, were using the original SIM on their new phone.

I have yet to attempt the upgrade (my phone is not unlocked, but it is modded). However, awhile back I did have my phone replaced. Instead of Apple giving me a new SIM card, they told me to use my original one. One would think that using a new vs original wouldn't make a difference, but I just want to make sure....

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
KR3st, if you are here, do you have both m4a and m4r files under ringtones?

KR3st, if you are here, do you have both m4a and m4r files under ringtones?

I think we are on to something to figure out why your custom ringtones survived the update and only one other one I know of did also.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Yes I have both in ringtone so maybe that is why mine survived.
I believe that maybe the key then. ALmost wanting to update using 7.4.0 but we don't know for sure yet what the right procedure is... Also FYI, the other guy who had it work said the ringtones were there before the update and he was able to delete and reinstall (with a couple attempts). Interesting.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
I can hold out on this update, nothing new that really gets me excited and want to plug it in. My 3PA's are much cooler than a louder speaker and some double tap features anyway..... ;)

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
i wanted to thank...

all the posters on this board. I got my iPhone on wed and installed apptap that night ( mods were part of the reason i bought the phone). And again, thanks to your help, i avoided this update and can keep my goodies.

This is a great community and im glad to be here.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who bricked or lost apps.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Slow after update?

Ok so I've had the update for what maybe 24 hours now? Has anyone else noticed a slowdown in the overall proformance with their iPhone? Mine seems to slowdown to a crawl sometimes. Not network speed but opening SMS, clicking the power button, clicking safari etc etc. Seems that my phone is struggling. This was done with just an install of the update, and 2 restores (just to make sure it wasn't an install issue)

So anyone else noticing their phones acting a little quirky after the update?

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Mine did that before the update. Sometimes I'd open a new email and typing would take forever, and then it'd catch up and be fine.

Only issue I've noticed since the update is that the shift key seems to get stuck. It doesn't highlight in blue like a caps-lock, but it stays lit up as if I was holding it down.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I feel the need to say something positive...

I REALLY like the selection of tones that were provided for the incoming message alerts! They're all good, high-quality, and very appropriate for the application I think. I had a hard time deciding among them!

Ok, enough of that. It's pathetic that it took 3 months to give us the option to customize incoming message tones, but NOT anything else. God forbid! I'm sure the poor engineers broke multiple sweats just getting that far. Please, take a break and don't work so hard boys!

There. Balance.

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
Only issue I've noticed since the update is that the shift key seems to get stuck. It doesn't highlight in blue like a caps-lock, but it stays lit up as if I was holding it down.
Have you noticed this happening in anything other than when entering in your password in a text-entry box for passwords? I've already posted about the password entry bug in this topic and I let Apple know about it yesterday, but please reply if you've seen what you've described above anyplace else, because this is what I noticed happening consistently when entering passwords.

Last edited by a moderator:

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
New Feature

We can now email a movie and view it on the iPhone. Up until this release you could not view a qt movie attached in an email. It would show up at the bottom of the email but would be ghosted. I tried every format and none worked.

With 1.1.1 you can now view a video emailed to you. So far I have tested .mp4, .mov, .m4v, and .wmv movies.

obviously .wmv does not work
.mp4 plays ok
.mov (H.264) gives a warning "This format not supported" after you download.
.m4v seems to work best

Most seem to cause a reset if you adjust volume while playing.

None of the movies will rotate to the horiz format

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
woopiedoo !
"An indication of excitement.
Woopiedoo! My dad bought me a chess set!"

It is true. I tested it.

Now all we need is a software update that turns a simple picture-taking camera into a Synchronized zoom electronic camera system and a HDD videocam. And if it doesn't happen by next month, I'll start a class-action suit all by myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
.mp4 plays ok
.mov (H.264) gives a warning "This format not supported" after you download.
.m4v seems to work
Can you make your test movie downloadable so we could try it, or email it to me? Send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.

I tried a test of a 1.4 MB mp4 movie file and all I got was the "This movie format is not supported." error message. I didn't try it with the m4v format. Perhaps there is a limit to how large the file size is (in addition to the size limits in place by the email provider)?

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
o youre saying even after restoring it you couldnt reinstall AppTapp and all the modding? If thats the case.. Forget the update.

For those who value their 3rd party apps, do not update.

I foolishly believed a few preliminary reports that said there was no issue with installed apps. There is.

Worse, it won't restore to 1.0.2 (hold down shift when clicking "Restore" and you can choose your own restore image--but it doesn't work with 1.0.2).

So I am stuck with 1.1.1 and none of my apps. But I have the iTunes WiFi store. Whoop-dee-do.

I could shoot myself right now.

BTW: After restoring (I've had to restore to 1.1.1 about 4 times now) if you agree to use the backup data you no longer need to re-input WiFi passwords anymore.

--
Mike

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
I just downloaded the new version and my speaker is not louder at all. Is there a setting for it? Maybe im missing something. don't tell me I lost my 3rd Party Apps, for nothing.

LOUDER SPEAKERPHONE VOLUME stated in the update :)

And they were not kidding when they said so. Geez its loud now!