Official iTunes Apps On Unlocked iPhone?

dr.phil

Sep 26, 2009
Hey Guys

I am considering buying an unlocked iPhone, but I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase apps from the iTunes store on the unlocked iPhone? Or would unofficial third-party apps only work? Would you rather suggest that I get the official iPhone?

Thanks!
Phil

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can use iTunes just fine with an unlocked phone. Just don't try an update if it's unlocked via firmware instead of factory unlocked.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Downloading apps on an unlocked phone is no different than downloading them on a carrier locked phone. Everything you buy from the App Store is an official third party app. You buy music from iTunes. There is an App Store icon and an iTunes icon on the phone.

Native apps/Stock apps are those that are present on all iPhones and come with the phone. This includes the calendar, calculator, iTunes, App Store, Maps, Messages, Camera, Settings, Weather, etc.

Unapproved third party apps are those that you get in Cydia, Icy, or SSH onto the phone. They are apps that Apple refuses to allow in the App store because they break one of the terms that the app developers must abide by. This includes apps such as backgrounding, allowing video ringtones, themes, changing system fonts, allowing live weather on the home screen, just to name a few. Jailbreaking opens the file system and unlocks the full power of the device.To install these apps, you will first need to jailbreak the phone. If a phone is unlocked, it is also jailbroken, so you'll be able to do all of this.