Official random thread

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It is a USA FEMA marking.
In the United States, a different FEMA marking system is used on searched structures, as follows:

A single diagonal slash indicates that a search in the building is in progress. This is used to indicate searcher locations and to avoid duplication of the search effort.
An X inside a square means "Dangerous - Do Not Enter!"
An X with writing around it means "Search Completed", with the time (and the date if appropriate) written above the X, the team conducting the search written to the left side of the X, the results of the search (number of victims removed, number of dead, type of search such as primary or secondary) written below the X, and any additional information noted about the structure to the right of the X.
Thank you kindly!! I’m happy the mystery is finally solved, thanks to your very helpful and informative post.

This information was extremely helpful. Again, thanks a million, @RoofMonkey!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I’ve seen this “flag” or “sign” posted on buildings on both the Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D. TV series numerous times.

View attachment 44079

I would really like to know what the meaning of this sign is. Given the shows I’ve seen it on, it probably means something related to the fire department… maybe saying the fire department has already gone in and deemed the building safe… or unsafe? @RoofMonkey, does that sign mean anything to you?

Yes, I did go on Google and tried to find out the meaning. All I could glean from the Google search results is that that is the Flag of Alabama. The shows I mentioned are (as their names imply) set in Chicago. So I doubt there’s a viable reason for placing a flag of Alabama on buildings in Chicago.

I even tried Google’s Reverse Image Search and got this:

View attachment 44078

Triangle? That’s not a triangle. At least not a single triangle. Four triangles maybe. Bottom line: the Google Reverse Image Search did not help in the least bit.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of this flag/sign posted on buildings, as in the photo I included above?
Mulder is trying to contact Scully, that's all

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
"I don't need the internet on my phone. I don't need texting. I only need my phone to make phone calls."
-Napoleon Phoneapart 2007

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
"I don't need the internet on my phone. I don't need texting. I only need my phone to make phone calls."
-Napoleon Phoneapart 2007
I remember saying something similar when my sister got an iPhone 3G for Christmas back in aught 8. :rolleyes:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I remember saying something similar when my sister got an iPhone 3G for Christmas. :rolleyes:
Yeah, to be fair, most of us probably said something similar around the same time. Around 2006, I remember asking a girl at work why she used her phone to text. I couldn't wrap my head around it. It seemed so impractical. She told me about T9 and I started texting a tiny bit.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah, to be fair, most of us probably said something similar around the same time. Around 2006, I remember asking a girl at work why she used her phone to text. I couldn't wrap my head around it. It seemed so impractical. She told me about T9 and I started texting a tiny bit.
In 2006 I was busy disassembling and assembling my Motorola RAZR multiple times. My user name came from that.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I was the geek who everyone made fun of in 2006 when I spend hundreds on an iPhone. At the time I predicted "all of you fools will be using one one day!". I turned out to be right though I'm still the geek everyone makes fun of :/