Official random thread

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was the geek who everyone made fun of in 2006 when I spend hundreds on an iPhone. At the time I predicted "all of you fools will be using one one day!". I turned out to be right though I'm still the geek everyone makes fun of :/
63187436.jpg

Mrallank59

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 8, 2013
It is a USA FEMA marking.
In the United States, a different FEMA marking system is used on searched structures, as follows:

A single diagonal slash indicates that a search in the building is in progress. This is used to indicate searcher locations and to avoid duplication of the search effort.
An X inside a square means "Dangerous - Do Not Enter!"
An X with writing around it means "Search Completed", with the time (and the date if appropriate) written above the X, the team conducting the search written to the left side of the X, the results of the search (number of victims removed, number of dead, type of search such as primary or secondary) written below the X, and any additional information noted about the structure to the right of the X.
What does 3 Xs mean?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It is a USA FEMA marking.
In the United States, a different FEMA marking system is used on searched structures, as follows:
Here's an unrelated, but equally burning (hehe) question:

Why is it NYPD, but then FDNY?

Why couldn't both departments use the same scheme for their respective abbreviated names?

It should be:

NYPD and NYFD, or

PDNY and FDNY

Someone needs a lesson in uniformity.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Here's an unrelated, but equally burning (hehe) question:

Why is it NYPD, but then FDNY?

Why couldn't both departments use the same scheme for their respective abbreviated names?

It should be:

NYPD and NYFD, or

PDNY and FDNY

Someone needs a lesson in uniformity.
The departments have completely different histories going back way before even my time. And tradition began for both without regard for the name and abbreviation of the other. That's the way it happened and no one cared, until you came along.
[emoji3]

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's such a weird world we live in. It feels like we have front row seats for watching the world burn. Most people seem to chase material possessions, live through Facebook and attempt to one-up each other. Few people even think to save a dime. How are they going to retire? Kids haven't played outside for years, but now that there is a phone game that allows them to catch virtual Pokemons, you'll occasionally see them roaming the neighborhoods once again. It's considered rude to show up at someone's house unannounced or even to call. I used to get up, toss on some clothes, knock on my friends' doors and play outside until it got dark. We'd only go inside to get food and then it was right back out to continue our adventures - no Pokimons required for inspiration. Not bitching; it's just an observation about how much I've seen things change since I was a kid.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I used to get up, toss on some clothes, knock on my friends' doors and play outside until it got dark. We'd only go inside to get food and then it was right back out to continue our adventures - no Pokimons required for inspiration.
Exactly. Those were the days.