Officially disappointed with OS 3.1

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
like the subject, I am totally disappointed with Apple for the 3.1 update.
I do like the new iTunes update, but not for the iPhone. They should have told us if the update is only mean for 3GS and not for 3G.

now my phone is keep shutting down (5-7 times each day), Keep on looping in signal searching process, slow respond for everything, and half life of the battery compare to before.

I think the only way for me to fixed this is by upgrade my phone to 3GS.. :(

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
That sounds strange... - have you tried to install 3.1 as NEW on your iPhone, and not as an update? / Have you tried to downgrade to 3.0 - to see about that?

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
I haven't try to do anything yet. been busy with work lately. I am thinking of going back to 3.01, but don't know how to do it. can anyone guide me on this? thanks in advance..

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
As well you should.

For here is a company that released an update that added new iTunes features, but caused more iPhone problems and fixed few of the existing bugs.

I believe we are all in the Apple extended beta period where WE are all unknowingly testing their operating system.

I wonder if any of these bugs are actually damaging the phone.

SirDVV

Bronze
Jul 20, 2009
mine's much better than with 3.0.1
I think you should restore, and set it as a new iPhone.
everything's faster, battery life's better... I haven't had any of those problems
good luck

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
like the subject, I am totally disappointed with Apple for the 3.1 update.
I do like the new iTunes update, but not for the iPhone. They should have told us if the update is only mean for 3GS and not for 3G.

now my phone is keep shutting down (5-7 times each day), Keep on looping in signal searching process, slow respond for everything, and half life of the battery compare to before.

I think the only way for me to fixed this is by upgrade my phone to 3GS.. :(
The update is for all models of the iPhone (2G, 3G and 3G). Others have reported problems with the 3.1 update, which is why you need to learn to WAIT THINGS OUT! ;)

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
Too bad I didn't wait, I upgraded the night that they released it and ever since, I've regreted it every single minute. Lol.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Back to some GREAT advice already given. Have you restored the phone as a new device? If you don't want to do that you may try a hard reset.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
Thanks guys, I will try to perform a total reset asp ... just want to make sure one thing.... for the apps that I've purchased, can I download it again for free in Apps store? I want to try setting the phone from scratch rather than restore from my backup since It's so many error with current backup...

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
... for the apps that I've purchased, can I download it again for free in Apps store? ...
A friend of mine just got a replacement phone. His original was backed up & the new one restored by the Genius. Later, he noticed many apps were missing. When he went to re-download the apps, the Apple Store said he had already purchased them and they were installed again as if they were free.

YMMV

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
And if you restore as new from the PC where your iTunes account is you won't even have to redownload the apps.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I'm stock on 3.0 and happy. I have way better battery life than I ever had on my 3G and everything works great. I would love to update to a superior operating system if I ever read there is one.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'm staying away from 3.1 for now. Everything's running well on 3.01 and not enough improvements on 3.1 to justify loosing my Jailbreak. I may even hold off on the update after a JB is available for 3.1 on the 3GS due to all these bug reports with 3.1. I may wait until 3.1.1.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
3.1.1 is next goal, and that won't happen unless I get a lot of glowing reports first.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
Just read that OS 3.1 will stop exchange sync for 3G and 2G devices if server require device encryption.

so sad, for 3G user like me who still want to access their work mail, they have to stop update the OS to newer version or switch to 3GS. :-(

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
I haven't try to do anything yet. been busy with work lately. I am thinking of going back to 3.01, but don't know how to do it. can anyone guide me on this? thanks in advance..

thats impossible. Apple doesn't let you do this. unless dev team comes up with a downgrader it shall be impossible.

i lost my jailbreak and i knew but i am not sure why i pressed the damn update bottom... but 3.1 giving me edge issue. its almost like it wants to me to 3g and nothing else, it switches to grps many many times.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Technically, Apple stores should be replacing units if the problem is replicable in the store.

I'm just saying'!