Oh **** my roommate washed his iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

UGActg

Sep 8, 2007
I bought an iPhone a few months ago and my roommate finally had enough money to buy one 2 weeks ago. Well the other day he left it in his pocket and washed it and now its broken. I felt so bad for him, I know people to stupid things but this just sucks.

So what I want to know is there anything we can do? I doubt there is, but maybe someone knows something.

Also is there any insurance I can get for mine? I wanted through my insurance company but it would end up costing a lot of money.

Thanks

Heller

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I bought an iPhone a few months ago and my roommate finally had enough money to buy one 2 weeks ago. Well the other day he left it in his pocket and washed it and now its broken. I felt so bad for him, I know people to stupid things but this just sucks.

So what I want to know is there anything we can do? I doubt there is, but maybe someone knows something.

Also is there any insurance I can get for mine? I wanted through my insurance company but it would end up costing a lot of money.

Thanks

In a Nutshell, hes screwed, the phone is brain dead.

And to your question, Nothing you can do either, cingular will not take out insurance for iPhones.

-Heller

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL

Thanks
Apple offers an extended year of warranty for around 60 bucks.

As far as your friend goes. Has he tried taking it to Apple. Wait for it to dry out, then take it in and say it just went dead. What is the worst that will happen?

Kanyon71

Sep 5, 2007
You can try drying it out at a very low heat. I've used very good isopropal alcohol in the past to fix water issue with electronics devices. If Apple won't help these are possibilities but you need to make sure you know what you're getting into. Also the heat method may not be the best with the iPhone because you need to remove the battery.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007

Thanks
Check with a State Farm agent in your area (you may have to contact several) but they are writing policy's for the phone, generally for about $30 per year with no deductible.

I feel bad for your roommate :(

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Apple offers an extended year of warranty for around 60 bucks.

As far as your friend goes. Has he tried taking it to Apple. Wait for it to dry out, then take it in and say it just went dead. What is the worst that will happen?
The iPhone has a built in water damage indicator to prevent someone claiming warranty on a water damaged phone.

Just look down in to the head phone jack and you will see a white button at the bottom. If you phone has water damage this button turns a reddish brown rust color. This is the first thing the Genius at the Apple store is going to check.

el padrino

Sep 28, 2007
Almost everyphone has the water indicator. There are some places that will attempt to resurrect:laugh2: a waterlogged phone but even they don't give any guarantees.

This really sucks.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I got a State Farm Insurance PAP on my iPhone about 2 months ago. It's abou5 $50 a year with $0 deductible and it covers anything except an act of God. It depends on where you are located on whether or not you can get a State Farm policy. I am in Florida and got one but I know that Arizona initially offered policies but then revoked them. It's definitely worth checking into though.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
hmm.. with all this talk of insuring the phone, i think i might go for it, especially since it's a one time payment for a year..

we shall see

RTWilliams2

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Yep, State Farm is insuring them. What happens with a lot of the agents is that they do not know that they can insure them. I called my agent about it and she told me she would call and find out. Ten minutes later she calls me back and said to come in with the receipt.

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
Almost everyphone has the water indicator. There are some places that will attempt to resurrect:laugh2: a waterlogged phone but even they don't give any guarantees.

This really sucks.

this is true. i imagine considering some really cheap flip phones have this same indicator, Apple wouldn't stop short of putting one in their phones. no good friend no good.

i have the extended year warranty. you have a years warranty when you buy the phone, its definitely well worth it. and if what that guy says is true about state farm, then that will buy you time to wait it out until they can work out the kinks of their plan for insurance.

Aug 2, 2007
It may shrink a bit, but . . .

I've seen some pretty amazing recoveries from washing electronics.

I pack it in a smallish box with that stuff that comes with new cameras and lenses (in the little pouches) and leave it alone for at least two weeks. NO POWER.

It may just boot up after it dries thoroughly.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
this is true. i imagine considering some really cheap flip phones have this same indicator, Apple wouldn't stop short of putting one in their phones. no good friend no good.

i have the extended year warranty. you have a years warranty when you buy the phone, its definitely well worth it. and if what that guy says is true about state farm, then that will buy you time to wait it out until they can work out the kinks of their plan for insurance.

Your warranty will not cover water damage, if that's what you're thinking? It's going to cover manufacturing defects only, not any type of damage.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
This is the 3rd thread I've read about people washing their iPhones in the washing machine and even one of them puting it in the dryer there afterwards!

The other two people that created those threads said that their iPhones went back to normal and worked fine, amazing! (Or BS)

Here:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-damage-believe-or-not.8546/

Here:(less fortunate)
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/not-a-good-day.8514/

Here:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/i-drowned-my-iphone.7742/

Here:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-vs-itoilet-now-taking-bets.10836/
Sux for your friend :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
ok i'm NOT saying this works and i'm NOT saying try it but...

maybe if you got a TINY TINY piece of white paper... put glue on one side and stuck it over the red water damaged color, MAYBE just maybe you could fool the Genius into another..

or open the iPhone and do it, still NOT saying you should try it.. unless there is NOTHING else.

also, i'm not sure the market for water-damaged phones on eBay but i'd give that a shot too.

UGActg

Sep 8, 2007
UPDATE!

Well after reading this thread we checked the water damage indicator. It turns out it did not change colors! It was the same color as mine so we figured what the hell and took it to the Apple store. He said it didn't turn on anymore. The Apple guy didn't ask anything else. He checked the damage indicator thing and everything and gave him a brand new iPhone!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Thanks
Get a new roommate.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
UPDATE!

Well after reading this thread we checked the water damage indicator. It turns out it did not change colors! It was the same color as mine so we figured what the hell and took it to the Apple store. He said it didn't turn on anymore. The Apple guy didn't ask anything else. He checked the damage indicator thing and everything and gave him a brand new iPhone!
Lucky for him....