Oh So Sad...*Worth the Read*

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Ok guys, this post is going to be rather long but definitely worth the read. So.. here goes: :sick:
After purchasing my iPhone 3G on iDay, my expectations were not that high. All I expected was a rather faster network for viewing the internet and , if needed, downloading applications from the App Store. I also did know there were going to be times when my 3G network would be forced to be switched to the relatively slower EDGE network and after using it for about a week I was EXTREMELY disappointed. The network will automatically switch to EDGE which is faster than the 3G network which is always about only 1 bar people! Which defeats the whole purpose of the 3G in 'iPhone 3G'!

I know some of you people who live in San Francisco where the reception is allegedly phenomenal will say this is not true but there are probably around only 3 places in the US that I can name off the top of my head that have decent networks. And, yes, I have looked at the 3G coverage map and it said the area where I live, Dallas, Texas, does in fact have 3G coverage. I have talked to many others who have the same issue and I think its ridiculous how Apple thinks that they can release a phone where the worst part is in the title of the phone itself. I am thrilled with the software and everything else except the network which is, of course, the most important part! So why should I pay an extra $10+ when I can use the original iPhone with almost the same features and exact same software for less?!?! I just might be selling my 16GB Black iPhone 3G which is in pristine condition on eBay/craigslist/whatever. Questions? Thoughts? Concerns? Make a post! (And if you would like to purchase the phone or give me advice on how much I should sell it for I would be delighted if you post!)
Also, here is more about the subject in an article I discovered online:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/20080811/tc_cnet/83011357931001242037

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I'm in Dallas and my 3g works great!

This is at work, in my office which is inside a warehouse (concrete walls) a few days ago:

This is at home (grapevine, tx) right now:

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
yes, well, I mean when I'm out the network will just not be up to par. When I'm out on the road the network will be great but then I'll be going other places and its just not good at all. I just think that Apple needs to improve the network

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
And this isn't just me I'm talking about. My friends don't have very good reception either and I have friends in NYC, California, Texas, etc. and almost all of them have expressed disappointments about the network (except for the ones who live in NYC and California where the network is the best there)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
All I can say to that is, AT&T's 3G sucks. A lot of people hate Sprint, but no one comes close to their EV/DO REV A. This is the reason I stuck with my v1, why pay so much more for crappy service...Mark

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Agreed. That's why I might just have to wait for version 3 or something of that nature or just get a new phone altogether until Apple and AT&T get their sh*t together or just switch to my V1. The only thing thats new about the V2 is a crappier network and a "prettier design". BIG WHOOP!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Agreed. That's why I might just have to wait for version 3 or something of that nature or just get a new phone altogether until Apple and AT&T get their sh*t together or just switch to my V1. The only thing thats new about the V2 is a crappier network and a "prettier design". BIG WHOOP!
I know you hate to leave the iPhone, just go back to v1 and be "Whole" again...Mark

The sad thing is, the 3G is more available now. Which means you probably won't get some crazy price for it. Hopefully you'll get what you paid for it...Mark

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I haven't had any problems, even when I've traveled. I was just recently in Biloxi, MS and reception was fine. I have never had a dropped call or bad reception, even inside of department stores or malls. I must be in the minority because all I hear about is how crappy 3g and AT&T are, it's a little confusing because I have had the 3g service for a while (blackjack II) and my fiance (a sous chef who works deep within the bowels of a hotel) has a 3g enabled phone and neither of us have had any problems at all.....

weird

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Unfortunately, AT&T's 3G Network is currently spotty and unreliable. In even in very large cities it can be slow and dropped often. Hopefully it will be expanded and improved in the coming years.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Which is exactly why I will probably be switching back to V1 and wait for V3 or something bigger and better... and don't get me wrong I'm an Apple FANATIC. I have everything Apple.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Which is exactly why I will probably be switching back to V1 and wait for V3 or something bigger and better... and don't get me wrong I'm an Apple FANATIC. I have everything Apple.
Just because we love Apple, doesn't mean we have to love AT&T. Apple couldn't have chosen a worst company to pair with. I always thought Sprint should have been the choice. Sprint is in the process of making their WHOLE network EV/DO Rev A. I travel constantly so I know, they are doing a darn go job of it. Even in rural areas. My Sprint mobile broadband card is faster than my internet at home. I also have the HTC Mogul (Sprint) which is also blindingly fast...Mark

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
All these phone networks are difficult and have some kind of flaw that is absolutely revolting. For AT&T, they charge you randomly for things on your bill and add things and are very sneaky about it and Sprint is the same, as I have read from some earlier posts on this site from about a year ago. These phone companies need to get their crap together and actually please people with the network itself...because its come to the point where Apple can't be supported just by the fact that they made the iPhone and same with AT&T.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
In case you did not read my post, I posted a link for that article in my thread. No hard feelings though, haha.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
iChtistian, you should sell your 3g to projectdarkside, a member at EIC who really deserves one.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
All these phone networks are difficult and have some kind of flaw that is absolutely revolting. For AT&T, they charge you randomly for things on your bill and add things and are very sneaky about it and Sprint is the same, as I have read from some earlier posts on this site from about a year ago. These phone companies need to get their crap together and actually please people with the network itself...because its come to the point where Apple can't be supported just by the fact that they made the iPhone and same with AT&T.
In my opinion the new CEO of Sprint Dan Hesse, is doing a wonderful job. He came in and was serious about turning around the problems that have plagued Sprint for years. The two things I have most definitely noticed are , Greatly improved customer service and Call and Data service reception. Had it not been for the iPhone. I would have told AT&T to take a hike, long ago...Mark

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I will definitely keep it in mind, aenti. And how, may I ask, does he deserve my iPhone 3G if I decide to sell it?

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
my bad, iChristian-did not catch that. and no hard feelings!
Today I was in an area that should have at least had "moderate" 3G according to the coverage map, but I only had EDGE available, and I couldn't even get that to work either!
This is the first in 2 weeks time I've run into this issue with 3G. But then to not even have EDGE was annoying even though the E was there.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Yes, it is very annoying. And, as I said in my first post for this thread, there are people on here who are going to say that they have no problems whatsoever but I believe that AT&T needs to improve their quality if they're making us pay this relatively high bill every month when this network is hard to use in the first place!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Yes, it is very annoying. And, as I said in my first post for this thread, there are people on here who are going to say that they have no problems whatsoever but I believe that AT&T needs to improve their quality if they're making us pay this relatively high bill every month when this network is hard to use in the first place!
Plus think about this. Sprint's family (2 People) Unlimited EVERYTHING plan is only 95 bucks (105.00 if 3 people). How in the heck does AT&T continue to charge what they do...Mark