Ok, Dowloading Jailbreak...wanna make sure we (me and other newbs) are clear....

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
First off I just wanted to say that everyone here is really nice and helpful. There were a few other forums that were full of real jerks...so glad I found a nice place! I have learned quite a bit!

1- Will this alone (just doing the jail break) screw up the phone? Will we have to re-download apps?

2- After this "jailbreak" can we download the summer board themes? If so, I cant find any of that on this forum...so, I'm a bit lost.

Again! Thank you! I left BB because I wanted to learn how to mess with a new phone. I got tired of the same thing over and over with the BB...I needed something else...this one is awesome!

Tytanius

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Philly, PA
1. You should be able to back up your iPhone by right clicking it under the library panel in iTunes.

2. Summerboard is not available for 2.0 yet but should be eventually.

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
Crap! LOL! That's why I was waiting for the jailbreak! Ha ha ha! OK...but I should befine just putting this jailbreak on there to make sure that it's ready when summer board comes out?

Are there any other theme/skin applications other than summerboard?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
1. No it will not screw up your phone.

2. No, you will not be able to download any Summerboard themes. Summerboard is not compatible with 2.0 yet.

Also, if you're jailbraking solely to install old apps that were previously available on lower firmwares, there are no apps available yet. Apps have to be ported over in order to work with the new firmware.

I hope this helps.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Glad you're liking EIC - people are friendly and cool here. And glad you got away from boring Blackberries :)

On your questions:

1: With jailbreaking, like any *major* change to your phone's sofware, there's always going to be a risk that something can go wrong. Having said that, many of us have found the leading jailbreak methods (like the current Pwnage option for 2.0 software) to be extremely solid and good to work with - and also found that the vast majority of issues are fixable.

You ask about having to re-download apps - yes. The jailbreak process will 'wipe' your phone and you'll be starting from scratch again.

Also - please know that if you are jailbreaking the latest - 2.0 - iPhone software then there are almost ZERO popular jialbreak apps available right now, as they all require complete rewrites from their 1.1.4 versions.

2. As mentioned above, if you are jailbreaking the 2.0 software, there is no Summerboard version out yet.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
My understanding is that SSH is working with this jailbreak, though, so if you wanted to you could skin/theme your iPhone right now.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Glad you're liking EIC - people are friendly and cool here. And glad you got away from boring Blackberries :)

On your questions:

1: With jailbreaking, like any *major* change to your phone's sofware, there's always going to be a risk that something can go wrong. Having said that, many of us have found the leading jailbreak methods (like the current Pwnage option for 2.0 software) to be extremely solid and good to work with - and also found that the vast majority of issues are fixable.

You ask about having to re-download apps - yes. The jailbreak process will 'wipe' your phone and you'll be starting from scratch again.

Also - please know that if you are jailbreaking the latest - 2.0 - iPhone software then there are almost ZERO popular jialbreak apps available right now, as they all require complete rewrites from their 1.1.4 versions.

2. As mentioned above, if you are jailbreaking the 2.0 software, there is no Summerboard version out yet.

I didn't lose any of my apps or settings. I just restored everything from the backup I made prior to jailbraking.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
My understanding is that SSH is working with this jailbreak, though, so if you wanted to you could skin/theme your iPhone right now.
That's what I've been doing! You just can't change the homescreen wallpaper.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I didn't lose any of my apps or settings. I just restored everything from the backup I made prior to jailbraking.
I was meaning 1.1.4 apps would not survive. Also, my experience has always been that you get a much cleaner result when not using a backup, but setting up as a new phone ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I just finished SSHing new icons onto the phone. For some reason I can't get the iPod icon to switch for anything. Any ideas? 3G by the way.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
I just finished SSHing new icons onto the phone. For some reason I can't get the iPod icon to switch for anything. Any ideas? 3G by the way.

In the MobileMusicPlayer.app folder, change the icon-MediaPlayer.png to the icon of your choice. Have fun!

adambodkins

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
ok I jailbroke my phone less than 20 minutes ago I am ok everything working like it should some apps didn't but oh well. Now my thing is how do I use SSH I downloaded open ssh on the iPhone but now what?

I have my IP address I am stuck at step 5 on the cydia how to page i guess is what it is called. about open terminal on desktop. I am a total newb to the iPhone but I am making good progress i think