Ok I KNOW I can cancel the data plan but Can I?

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Ok, I know for a fact that AT&T allows you to cancel the $30 data plan anytime you want with NO penalties, but I wanted to know, is the 3G iPhone unlockable?

As in, I know people avoided the data plan for the first iPhone by unlocking it and just using wifi for internet connection, but can we do this with the iPHONE 3G?

Since I made this thread, let me know ask this stupid question. Is CYDIA available on Firmwire 2.0 (iPhone 3G) yet? All I really want is MXTUBE on iPhone 3G, possible?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Ok, I know for a fact that AT&T allows you to cancel the $30 data plan anytime you want with NO penalties, but I wanted to know, is the 3G iPhone unlockable?

As in, I know people avoided the data plan for the first iPhone by unlocking it and just using wifi for internet connection, but can we do this with the iPHONE 3G?

Since I made this thread, let me know ask this stupid question. Is CYDIA available on Firmwire 2.0 (iPhone 3G) yet? All I really want is MXTUBE on iPhone 3G, possible?
no you cannot unlock the iPhone 3G yet and official AT&T policy is that if you are using an iPhone 3G you must have a corresponding data plan turned off, but yes CSR's do have the ability to turn it off. If you call in and happen to get a customer service rep who is exceptionally nice or stupid they might turn it off but it's really just a matter of luck.

The iPhone 3G is jailbroken so yes you can put cydia on it.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
But let's say I turn off the data plan, wouldn't that UNACTIVATE the iPhone?

Plus wouldn't iTunes make you sign up for the data plan if it didn't have it?

see the iPhone 1 u could've unlocked/unactivated through unlocking it, and you wouldn't have to worry about the data plan at all... i just want to get the iPhone 3g and not have to pay for the data plan, because i will never use edge/3g, just wifi... i did it with my iPhone 1, and im pretty darn sure, there is a way to do this..

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
But let's say I turn off the data plan, wouldn't that UNACTIVATE the iPhone?

Plus wouldn't iTunes make you sign up for the data plan if it didn't have it?

see the iPhone 1 u could've unlocked/unactivated through unlocking it, and you wouldn't have to worry about the data plan at all... i just want to get the iPhone 3g and not have to pay for the data plan, because i will never use edge/3g, just wifi... i did it with my iPhone 1, and im pretty darn sure, there is a way to do this..
Why would canceling the data plan unactivate the phone?

Wouldn't you just pay through the roof data charges every time you accidentally tap the weather icon etc.?

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication

Wouldn't you just pay through the roof data charges every time you accidentally tap the weather icon etc.?
Yep. Anyone remember the guy back in the iPhone 1 release time frame with the $800 phone bill because he turned off/didn't apply for the all-you-can-eat bandwidth? :mad:

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007

For the V1, I had that one 3rd party app from installer called "BOSSPREFS" which turns off your EDGE permanently. so i didn't have any problems with that.

so i just ordered the 3G, and when i receive it, i will cancel the data plan 2-3weeks later, and just jailbreak it and download that app... tadaaaa

can someone tell me what i should tell them when i cancel the data plan? I mean i don't think i can tell them the iPhone was stolen, then they would probably lock the service or something?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
For the V1, I had that one 3rd party app from installer called "BOSSPREFS" which turns off your EDGE permanently. so i didn't have any problems with that.

so i just ordered the 3G, and when i receive it, i will cancel the data plan 2-3weeks later, and just jailbreak it and download that app... tadaaaa

can someone tell me what i should tell them when i cancel the data plan? I mean i don't think i can tell them the iPhone was stolen, then they would probably lock the service or something?
I don't know what you can tell them, but lets us know what you end up doing and how it works out

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Whats the point of having an iPhone if your going to cancel the data? Just use it as a crappy iPod and phone?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Whats the point of having an iPhone if your going to cancel the data? Just use it as a crappy iPod and phone?
Some people live in areas where wifi is abundant. They would be using wifi essentially all the time, so they don't need to pay 30 bucks for 3g.

And I have to say, the iPhone is an excellent iPod and phone.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Some people live in areas where wifi is abundant. They would be using wifi essentially all the time, so they don't need to pay 30 bucks for 3g.

And I have to say, the iPhone is an excellent iPod and phone.

couldnt agree more, it does work fine as a phone and as a ipod!

but what is the point in getting the 3G, you might as well just get an ipod Touch!

makes no sense to me, personnaly i think its just daft!

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
couldnt agree more, it does work fine as a phone and as a ipod!

but what is the point in getting the 3G, you might as well just get an ipod Touch!

makes no sense to me, personnaly i think its just daft!
the point is having it all in one device....

following your logic that it is pointless to have it together, I should then get rid of my iPhone and go out and buy a original ipod for music, a PDA for calendar and apps, etc., a cell phone for calling, and a camera to take pictures.

My brother lives on a university campus that is 99% covered in free wifi. I jailbroke my V1 iPhone and installed bossprefs to disable edge and he just threw his sim card in it and has been happibly using it every since, without a data plan.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't think you understand!

You just said an all in one device! The iPhone is an all in one device.

But your on about getting it and cancelling your contract. And just using the Internet with wifi, you can do all that with an iPod touch but without the phone!

But if your on about disabling EDGE and just using it for wifi for your Internet and sticking a normal sim card in it YOU might as well stay with a version 1 iPhone! It's a waste of money time and effort.

The point of getting the 3g is for the 3g and GPS, but gps will be no use to you unless your in range of a wifi modem! So you can see where you located, because maps won't load if you have no data connection.

Confusing!

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I don't think you understand!

You just said an all in one device! The iPhone is an all in one device.

But your on about getting it and cancelling your contract. And just using the Internet with wifi, you can do all that with an iPod touch but without the phone!

But if your on about disabling EDGE and just using it for wifi for your Internet and sticking a normal sim card in it YOU might as well stay with a version 1 iPhone! It's a waste of money time and effort.

The point of getting the 3g is for the 3g and GPS, but gps will be no use to you unless your in range of a wifi modem! So you can see where you located, because maps won't load if you have no data connection.

Confusing!
I'm not talking about canceling the contract, just the data plan. The voice plan stays working. My reason for upgrading to a 3G is because my version 1 iPhone was 4GB, my 3G is 16GB. People upgrade ipods for the same reason...

Sure I could go out and find a 16GB V1 iPhone but they are more expensive than the 3G iPhones.

And that is why people want to use a 3G iPhone without a data plan. They can be purchased NEW with the same or better capacity as the original for less cost.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
well in that case in v.simple terms:

Check your terms and conditions of your contract with AT&T to see how long you have to wait to alter your contract, cos usually it's either a few months or not at all with the iPhone!

In the Uk you get unlimited Internet access (fair usage policy)!

Personal point, if your going to bother going through the whole cancelling data plans and so on, then buy a sh*t phone and an iPod touch, cos at least with the iPod touch you get your internet and music.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
how can you tell anyone what to do^? I mean c'mon man, I used the v1 iPhone without the data plan for a very long time, was never bored at all, i used wifi at my house to download apps, music, videos, games, etc.

Think about it, once you do do that, you get: cheap ipod, great looking phone, EVERYTHING minus gps and 3g (which i personally don't need, because i'm not a traveler or anything YET..

MrBee

Aug 3, 2008
Tell them you lost your job and are now on a budget that has no room for a data plan.....just throwin stuff out there.....good luck....