ok i wanna do it!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
i want to mod my phone... basically just the icons... nothing else... but i don't know how to do it... i was searching all these threads and trying to put one and one together but im getting a lil confused... i have a firmware 1.1.2. phone and i am using a windows xp computer... i was just hoping there was someone kind hearted out there who can write the process of modding my phone in steps... :) so that way i can do it... i hear its real easy i juss need to know the steps and stuff i need to download... so if any of u kind enough... lemme know the steps... thanks

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
did the phone come with 1.1.2 outt he box or did you update it? Now that i think about it - you need to downgrade anyway so it doenst matter. Only thing is to jailbreak a 1.1.2 out the box phone you will need to bring it back to 1.1.2 afer its jailbroken, or you wont have phone service.

So worse case scenario - it came with 1.1.2 like mine did, download 1.1.1 and "update" it via iTunes to 1.1.1 by holding shift while clicking update. Once its down to 1.1.1 you wont be able to make/receive calls. As a matter of fact it will give you an error and wont come out of safe mode or w/e it is saying. You will need to download iBrickr to bring it out of that mode.

Thats worse case scenario. If it didn't come with 1.1.1 ignore that last section and just continue to jailbreakme.com via the phone on a wifi connection. Follow the instructions on the site - and hit install apptapp or w/e it says. once that finishes your done, enjoy.

Its as simple as downgrading to 1.1.1, going to the site, waiting for the download/install to finish, restarting phone.

Then just download and install apps as you wish - there was a post i just replied to for a thread called "im lazy and don't understand" that i helped someone do his also.

If your phone DID come with 1.1.2 and you finish jailbreaking the 1.1.1 version, your phone is jailbroken but no service. Once your done you need to go into installer and download a certain program - i don't remember the name of it right now,s earch the forums and you'l find it. once thats installed on the 1.1.1 jailbroken phone, you need to UPDATE to 1.1.2. Once its UPDATED (not restore) you need to jailbreak it with a 1-touch program (not jailbreakme.com).

The thing is that on 1.1.2 the phone wont jailbreak without having that certain program on the phone. You get it on there by downgrading to 1.1.1, installing it, then updating to 1.1.2, and THEN jailbreaking via 1-touch.

sorry if i rambled on, the information is in there, but i need to get going, studying for a final tomoro. contact me via AIM (otacon132) if you want personal help, or just respond here, people are helpful on here.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Do exactly as posted above.

I warn you though - while several will tell you that modding is great fun - I myself have done it 12 times now. And each time I Restored. In fact, I just Restored my current jailbreak 2 minutes ago.

My phone becomes unstable, unreliable, and crashes way too much. The apps don't work well together, and I really don't get a good experience out of it.

But as long as you're just doing icons, you should be fine.

Good luck!

- John

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
But as long as you're just doing icons, you should be fine.

- John

that much is true, i don't run anything more than simple games, interface changes, and a VNC client to access my PC..

And yes, the program is Oktoprep, couldnt remember for the life of me.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
that much is true, i don't run anything more than simple games, interface changes, and a VNC client to access my PC..

And yes, the program is Oktoprep, couldnt remember for the life of me.
And that's exactly what runs fine for me.

But once I start using bigger apps and changing settings and such, it all starts flipping out.

- John

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I find myself using an un-modified phone out of preference.

On a stock phone I can have music playing from the ipod and surf the net for hours without a problem.

As soon as I try this on a phone with even light customisation - summerboard, and a couple of apps - and Safari or MusicPlayer start with the suicide routine and crash over and over again.

My development iPhone stays on the desk and i'm carrying a nice standard one.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
I modded my phone the 2nd day i had it, and the same thing with my touch. i don't know if i should keep my touch or sell it now that i have an iPhone :/

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
I've used my modded since day one and have installed the NES emu with a bunch of games and about 10 other programs and different themes. So far no problems or crashing except that it mysteriously turned off recently and I thought it was dead. But it's alive again and working well. I guess if you stick with basic mods you should be ok.