Ok laugh if you want...

fourtheye28

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Ok so I was bored yesterday and put my headphones into my AUX port in my car and cranked the volume to max, and surprisingly the microphone didn't work, the actual headphones were acting as microphones and was amplifying my voice.
Just something useless to share!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Headphones and microphones are basically the same thing, in reverse. You can plug any headphones into a mic input (or in this case, a line-level input with the gain CRANKED) and you'll have a microphone. A very dull, quiet microphone.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Headphones and microphones are basically the same thing, in reverse. You can plug any headphones into a mic input (or in this case, a line-level input with the gain CRANKED) and you'll have a microphone. A very dull, quiet microphone.
Are you sure? I don't think headphones have mics in them for talking into.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Ok so I was bored yesterday and put my headphones into my AUX port in my car and cranked the volume to max, and surprisingly the microphone didn't work, the actual headphones were acting as microphones and was amplifying my voice.
Just something useless to share!
drop the windows down and holla at the girls through the speakers, you never know she might be impressed or think your nerdy

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Are you sure? I don't think headphones have mics in them for talking into.
No no.

Headphones and mics are both diaphragms with magnets attached that move within a magnetic field. In the case of a mic, sound moves the diaphragm, vibrating the magnet in the field, producing a signal. In the case of the headphones, the signal induces the magnet, causing the diaphragm to move, making sound. They're both the same basic thing, doing the opposite chore. (albeit at different operating levels and impedances)

That's why you can use headphones as a microphone. Now, doing the opposite is theoretically possible, but you won't hear much.