Ok Please confirm this about 1.1.2

Dec 17, 2007
Ok I have bought a new iPhone that came with 1.1.2 firmware on it. I am correct when I say that you can only jailbreak it? You cant yet unlock it. I am just wondering this because I see so many threads about 1.1.2 phones being unlocked but I think those are ones that are upgraded from 1.1.1. Also my modem firmware is 04.02.12_G. So can someone confrim that I can not unlock it but I can only jailbreak. Thanks

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
next week! Or sometime in the next 52. We need to consult OJ's divining tackle
I bought my iPhone 5 weeks ago in the UK and it has been an iPod for 4 ½ weeks, the first week I bought it I unlocked it to O2 pay as you go and installed there SIM (I paid +/- 30 quid for this unlock from unlockukiPhone or something like that
Anyway when I arrive back in Thailand where I live I made a 8 minute call to my daughter in the UK and it cost me 23 quid, hence the 4 ½ weeks of iPod.
When I paid the unlockukiPhone guys 30 quid I was told that I will be able to fully unlock my iPhone in +/- 4 weeks when Apple upgrade to 1.1.3 ( the same company are now selling a kind of turbo sim now for another 40 quid for those of us that are impatient and cant wait for Apple (me included)
But I will now buy a new 1.1.1 fully unlocked Thai iPhone for 320 quid and give the UK one to my daughter
There was a lot of excitment on Dec 6th that Apple would upgrade to 1.1.3 but i guess Apple are a bunch of sick bas@ards and know that there are probably 1/2 mil guys waiting for this so that they can too unlock there phones

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I'm afraid the line about being able to unlock as soon as Apple issues an update is only speculation. Apple has a dozen cards up its sleeve. The turbosim is your best bet for now.

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
I'm afraid the line about being able to unlock as soon as Apple issues an update is only speculation. Apple has a dozen cards up its sleeve. The turbosim is your best bet for now.
The guy at the Apple shop in Phuket says he can get me the Turbo Sim for B4200 (60 quid) but I read somewhere that the turbo sim is only good for US 1.1.2 firmware any ideas if that is true?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
the dev team's status ticker does only show 1.1.2 working from memory. I really can't help on unlocking, I don't do any of that.

Dec 28, 2007
You can unlock

Ok I have bought a new iPhone that came with 1.1.2 firmware on it. I am correct when I say that you can only jailbreak it? You cant yet unlock it. I am just wondering this because I see so many threads about 1.1.2 phones being unlocked but I think those are ones that are upgraded from 1.1.1. Also my modem firmware is 04.02.12_G. So can someone confrim that I can not unlock it but I can only jailbreak. Thanks
you can unlock, but first you have to jailbreak the phone, few of the jailbreaking steps involves downgrading to 1.1.1 and then bringing the iPhone back to 1.1.2. Once you're done jailbreaking you have to install a stealthsim, that's what really unlocks the phone. :laugh2:

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
163 Bucks including shipping that is unreal................ but what the hell, i am fed up looking at my phone and saying I wish Apple would hurry up and upgrade to 1.1.3 so that i can make calls with it

Dec 28, 2007
can you jailbreak a 1.1.2 otb phone if you have never activated it?

Dec 28, 2007
well, in the thread everybody seems to send me to for jailbreaking an otb 1.1.2 phone the op says that it only works if have already activated your phone. thanks, though.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
well, in the thread everybody seems to send me to for jailbreaking an otb 1.1.2 phone the op says that it only works if have already activated your phone. thanks, though.
That guide isn't the best. Wildonrio's How to Jailbreak the 1.1.1 while sat in the Apple Store is a much better guide to the 'Jailbreaking an unactivated 1.1.1' part. (This is the middle and main section that the guide you're referring to, sort of glosses over)

If you're planning on doing it and want someone on the end of MSN Just in case - give us a shout