Ok. So here's a weird one

Jul 30, 2008
Since i've gotten my iPhone 3G 6 weeks ago i have not had any 3G reception where i live (Glendale, CA). Whenever I switch to 3G the bars go all the way down and within 30 seconds I get "no service". I update to 2.1 and try again. I switch on 3G, and within 30 seconds i get 'no service" again. Here's where it gets interesting. Before I can switch 3G off I get distracted by something and set my iPhone down. I come back 5 minutes later and I have 3 to 4 bars of 3G.

I'm left to wonder if it just took a while to find the signal or if 2.1 somehow helped. In any event for those of you who appear to get no 3G in an area that supposedly has coverage give this a shot. Turn on 3 G and let it sit for 5 minutes. Maybe you'll get lucky like I did.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
There have been several many hundreds of people reporting that 2.1 has fixed the 3g issue. I am one that has no service where I am and now get 5 bars and great service.

Jul 30, 2008
Sorry SHOWGUY. I must have missed those hundreds of posts. How silly of me. Can you please point me to them?

Thanks!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Since i've gotten my iPhone 3G 6 weeks ago i have not had any 3G reception where i live (Glendale, CA). Whenever I switch to 3G the bars go all the way down and within 30 seconds I get "no service". I update to 2.1 and try again. I switch on 3G, and within 30 seconds i get 'no service" again. Here's where it gets interesting. Before I can switch 3G off I get distracted by something and set my iPhone down. I come back 5 minutes later and I have 3 to 4 bars of 3G.

I'm left to wonder if it just took a while to find the signal or if 2.1 somehow helped. In any event for those of you who appear to get no 3G in an area that supposedly has coverage give this a shot. Turn on 3 G and let it sit for 5 minutes. Maybe you'll get lucky like I did.

Interesting observation. For those of us out on the fringe of 3G coverage, the new firmware does in fact show better signal strength. But, I have seen situations where I appear to have 5 bars of service (EDGE), but no data. This usually happens when I've left my iPhone sitting for a few minutes: it dropped 3g, acquired EDGE, stuck on EDGE, and reacquired 3g.

I think we'll continue to see improvement as more people update. For us unlucky ones who aren't centrally located in a 3G nexus, we will continue to get the 3G dregs on the outskirts of the coverage area. This is amplified by the fact that much of the deployed 3G is 1900 mhz.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
When you turn the 3G off, it does the same thing. It's looking for a network. It's almost like turning on airplane mode on then off immediately - it turns off all the radios, and the must looks for signals again.

Try it. Even going from 3G to edge, you'll find it resets the signal.

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007

Same thing happened to me, infact it was showing 3g and 4-5 bars, but I went to make call and it failed....switched off 3g and I was fine. Used to have signal before update, 3g was fine but now (only in house) seems not ok