Ok this is disturbing....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Last night we had a block party for some neighbors that were back in town visiting.
While talking to some of my neighbors, we were discussing the crime in the neighborhood and I mentioned that they could buy a 4 camera dvr system for around $150 online and where they should put them around the house.
This morning, in my spam box (Gmail) I had an email about security camera deals.
I had my phone on the table last night, but it was locked.

So, is it just a coincidence that I got spam today about the very thing I was talking about last night, or is it possible that advertisement agencies are talking things one step further and are monitoring our conversations through our phones? (which would be soo illegal its not funny.) I'm going to start testing.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
That is weird, but I think it's a coincidence. Ive gotten phone calls (somehow, I NEVER give out my phone number) saying about home security and I need to update it or do I need home security. And I don't know how they could be listening to your conversations because if it's an app it would be pulled and I highly doubt they would hack into your phone and listen, with the iOS.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
LOL The home security calls are telemarketers that have your number on a list. You need to register your number at donotcall.gov
As far as the spam versus the conversation.... Yeah, probably coincidence, but if it happens again, then there might be something to check out.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Nah, I'm almost certain it's just a coincidence. I mean, there are millions of phones out there, it would be hard to monitor them since the process is manual, unlike on the internet where it's an algorithm that does the job.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
LOL The home security calls are telemarketers that have your number on a list. You need to register your number at donotcall.gov
As far as the spam versus the conversation.... Yeah, probably coincidence, but if it happens again, then there might be something to check out.
wow...and i thought i was paranoid. first, if someone is on the other end of the phone, you can tell because the close call can be seen. also there would be noise. that's the one thing that the government can't catch us with because in order for them to record our conversations when the phone is not off the hook, they would have to put on the hook mics and that would just be tedious and hard to monitor. coincidence 10000%

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
JEEE-ZUS! I even said it was probably just a coincidence. Everyone calling me paranoid is a bit far fetched.
I was pointing it out since in the wake of the Newspaper scandal in GB, and the location tracking with Apple and Google, that it COULD be possible. And tell me that there aren't developers that haven't done sneaky crap in the past.
The Big Brother App from the App Store that logged everyone's unlock codes. It's entirely conceivable that there could be an app with code that listens for key words for advertisers.
But I said it was disturbing. I wasn't screaming and shouting for everyone to watch their phones or anything.