Ok total Noob here please help!

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Ok guys, after years of debating on jailbreaking iPhone 1, 2 and now 3, i have finally decided to go ahead and take the plunge

the problem is I want to learn everything NOW! and my brain just cant handle it

So here are a few questions i have most pressing ones!
1- I have winterboard loaded and have a bunch of themes is there a way to exclude certain things from the theme? for example the transformers theme i have; has this really loud annoying sound bite when you lock the phone, i need to get rid of this!
2- i have the transformer theme running, but i downloaded yankee sms theme, how can i get both going at the same time?
3- i have a bunch of messaging themes but none are working, is this because they are not working on 3gs or am i doing something wrong
4- i am looking for a game emulate preferably NES one, but would settle on anything, i have downloaded NES one but it crashes upon opening
5- Stacks, cant add icons into stacks
6- 3g wifi tricker? anything out there yet?

I will leave these for now, hopefully this can turn into a noob thread where those with the knowledge will share and those that are just trying to learn can come and soak up your knowledge

thanks in advance guys, really appreciate any help i get!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
1) This will probably be more than you want to delve in to, but you'll have to go in and delete that sound file (and any other unwanted files) from the theme. You'll need SSH to do this - it's a means of connecting to and browsing/modifying your iPhone's filesystem via your computer. Themes are located at /Library/Themes/themename.theme. That sound file is somewhere inside your theme.

2) The easy answer to this: select both themes in WinterBoard. Done. However, there's a question - does the Transformers theme also include an SMS (now called Messages) theme? If so, still select both themes in WinterBoard, but drag the Yankees SMS theme above the Transformers theme inside WinterBoard.

3) Not sure on this one. My answer to #2 may answer this one as well, but if not, there may be something wrong with the theme itself. I'll need more detail on that one to give you a solid answer.

4) There are plenty of emulators available in Cydia - NES being just one of them. I haven't downloaded it myself, so I can't say for sure, but I'd say it's probably crashing because the app doesn't work with the 3.0 software. You'll have to wait for the developer to update it.

5) Can't help you there; I don't use stacks. Maybe a 3.0 compatibility issue?

6) I haven't heard of one. There was one for 2.x, but it almost certainly does not work with 3.0.

Hopefully you'll find at least some of that helpful. And welcome to the forums!

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
i Fuc'in love you!

And i love it here!

You know when i first started coming here i was a total windows guy! I mean my career is based off a windows app SQL dba
I purchased my first iPhone when the original iPhone was released, and i remember going from my blackjack to the iPhone and loosing everything i used on the blackjack. I came here and kept posting how i was on the border of bringing it back and a bunch of people posted don't do it stick it out, now here we are two years later and.....
I am now a total MAC guy
1 17 inch macbook old style (purchased august 08)
1 24 in imac purchased a week after the macbook for wife and kids
3rd iPhone purchased (now on 3gs)
1 ipod touch for my daughter (4 years old) so she leaves mine alone
1 17 inch new body style mac book just got it last week

and i have to say most of it is because if this site! I love you but my wife freaking hates you LOL

anyway thanks again man, really appreciate your help

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
couple more for you
whats this ram checker program i keep reading about, seems like its a must have?
How can i add sources in cydia, and what are some of the main ones you guys are using

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I would suggest using iPhonebrowser to SSH into your phone. There's no hassle of using wifi and configuring the SCP program.

As for the ram checker. You could install SBSettings and enable the status freemem. That will put the memory on you taskbar next to the time

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
cliffeman mentioned SBSettings - that's one thing you can use for a RAM checker. It's basically a panel that slides down on to your screen when you slide your finger across the menubar, and it allows you do things like turn off SSH, WiFi, EDGE, 3G, Bluetooth, and then turn them on again, all from in the panel - that way you don't have to close the app you're currently in to do those things. It also displays your available memory at the bottom of the panel. You can also have it show the free memory next to the time in your menubar, and you can also use it to free up memory.

If you want more in-depth system monitoring, grab iStat from the AppStore. It gives you stats on memory, IP addresses, system identifiers, your phone's uptime, and more. You can also use it to free up memory on the phone, and if you have iStat installed on your Mac, you can monitor even more system stats from your Mac, on your iPhone.

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I downloaded the sbsettings and i love it, i do have one question thought LOL
what does ultrasn0w show in there next to wifi?
ok maybe two questions
what is a normal / good /bad amount of available ram to have

I find myself ranging from 85 to 140

again guys thanks for the help

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Not sure what it shows. I have AT&T service so I don't need it. Your memory is going to bounce around like that depending on what you have running. Like Lincoln said in his post. You could install iStat from the app store to free up memory. It's a very handy app that's worth the 2 bucks.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
80 is low for the 3GS, but the free memory totally depends on what you have running, background processes, etc. Mine's usually between 130 and 148, but it dips down into the 120's and 110's a lot as well.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I have noticed that the more themes you have Winterboard running. The more memory it takes up. Since I added the mulibar lockscreen, status bar theme, and my main theme. I've been running in the mid 130's. Sometimes the low 140's after I free up memory with iStat.

Before, I was in the 150's & 60's. I had a pretty simple theme running.