Ok...we have ALL complained, but WHY STEVEY?

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Ok guys, we have all complained about the iPhone's lack of features on the new 3G model. However, I am still going to get one so this is not a hate post. I am sure there have been posts like this before but I didn't see any in the 2 seconds I checked. So...why do you guys think it is that steve left out little things that could easily be added? Things that people have always wanted that with one little software or hardware tweak would fix these problems. His life revolves around everything APPLE so to say that he simply did not see all of the lists everyone has made is crazy. Why do you think he did not take these lists into consideration and fix simple things?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
because he likes to impose his will on our technological lives.

May 6, 2007
United States
There are really three possible reasons here.

1. Jobs will actually add the technologies into the 3G via the App store and is saving room for the App Store's success.

2. Jobs feels that the technologies have better alternatives or are not necessary.

3. Jobs is saving room for improvement for the third gen iPhone.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
While i think all the reasons are legit. I'd like to add something to reason three. That seems like a strong candidate (while they all do to me) because, yeah steve will be able to sell and make a profit on a second generation iPhone, but there will still be a significant portion of individuals who will not get the new one because they don't want to buy atleast a 200 dollar phone when they have a perfectly good one in contract. Saving these features will be a great way to make version 3 incredible so that when peoples contracts are up, now there is a reason to stay with Apple rather then switching to another phone to get features like MMS. This is just talking here, i still think the features haven't been added in for reasons like one at two as well. I just think the second generation is only a small adjustment and isn't meant to replace all version one iPhones. Just as a way of making some more profit for those individuals "who need the newest"

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
There are really three possible reasons here.

1. Jobs will actually add the technologies into the 3G via the App store and is saving room for the App Store's success.

2. Jobs feels that the technologies have better alternatives or are not necessary.

3. Jobs is saving room for improvement for the third gen iPhone.
#1 IMO a definite;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't buy the idea that they're holding out features just so they can get people to buy the newer generations... never have. Technology improves at a fast enough rate to make cool new toys once every year or two anyway... just like what happened with iPhone 1. It's not that they didn't want to make it 3g... they just didn't have the ability to get a decent battery life out of it.

i maintain the view that for one reason or another Apple doesn't think we need a lot of the features we are missing.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Yeah, everything is done for a reason. Sometimes they'll admit they missed the boat on this or that, but that's pretty rare. They've been firing on all cylinders lately so I don't think they are making mistakes but calculated moves to push their products and services, future products and services, and their bottom line. Fortunately, we get to ride the wave of awesome products while they make some money. I hope Apple keeps doing what they're doing doing so the wave will last a little longer. :laugh2:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
now there is a reason to stay with Apple rather then switching to another phone to get features like MMS.
If Apple hasn't added MMS yet, they will never do it. But I still think there's hope for copy/paste. That's the only feature I'm missing.

the second generation is only a small adjustment and isn't meant to replace all version one iPhones.
Seeing as Apple's accounting model is scheduled to give v1 phones updates at least until about this time next year...

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
(a little OT but shame we have to wait until February for new episodes... that writer's strike really messed up my TV schedule... ;)

May 6, 2007
United States
i don't buy the idea that they're holding out features just so they can get people to buy the newer generations... never have. Technology improves at a fast enough rate to make cool new toys once every year or two anyway... just like what happened with iPhone 1. It's not that they didn't want to make it 3g... they just didn't have the ability to get a decent battery life out of it.

i maintain the view that for one reason or another Apple doesn't think we need a lot of the features we are missing.
Ok, so I hate to get off topic, but I just need to confirm that you are a Rush fan. Of course your avatar suggests so, but I need to see for sure :).

I know we had a discussion about Rush in a thread, but I wasn't sure if you participated. Did you go to a Snakes and Arrows show? I saw them earlier this month, it was great. What are some of your favorite songs?

To keep this relevant, see my first post to see my opinion and reply. Page One.