Old AT&T Plan, can't get an iPhone!

Jun 28, 2007
First time poster, long time lurker.

Went to the corporate AT&T store yesterday to make sure that I am eligible for an iPhone, but I was sadly disappointed.

I have an old AT&T plan from 2001 (before the Cingular merge) where I have 2 phones with 400 minutes each and 700 shared minutes (1500 total) for a monthly fee of about $46 after taxes. I was hoping I could add the $20 iPhone data plan to my current voice plan to get an iPhone, but AT&T won't let me claiming that I am on an old billing system and that I have to get a new AT&T plan (which is more then double what I pay now).

Basically I'm saying that I want to buy a $600 phone, and pay $20 extra a month, and sign on for 2 more years, but AT&T says no. Is this the way they treat their loyal customers?

It's sad because I'm a huge supporter of anything Apple makes (5 figures worth of Apple stock, too) and AT&T is the only thing holding me back from using their products. Any suggestions on what I should do, would a Manager have room to budge on something like this?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
First time poster, long time lurker.

Went to the corporate AT&T store yesterday to make sure that I am eligible for an iPhone, but I was sadly disappointed.

I have an old AT&T plan from 2001 (before the Cingular merge) where I have 2 phones with 400 minutes each and 700 shared minutes (1500 total) for a monthly fee of about $46 after taxes. I was hoping I could add the $20 iPhone data plan to my current voice plan to get an iPhone, but AT&T won't let me claiming that I am on an old billing system and that I have to get a new AT&T plan (which is more then double what I pay now).

Basically I'm saying that I want to buy a $600 phone, and pay $20 extra a month, and sign on for 2 more years, but AT&T says no. Is this the way they treat their loyal customers?

It's sad because I'm a huge supporter of anything Apple makes (5 figures worth of Apple stock, too) and AT&T is the only thing holding me back from using their products. Any suggestions on what I should do, would a Manager have room to budge on something like this?
Well activation is done online so Unless there is something programmed on atts server that rejects old customers I think you should be fine.

david803sc

Jun 25, 2007
It will not work here is why when AT&T was purchased by Cingular, they did not merge their computer systems, old AT&T customers are in a system calleed siebel, when customers switched their plan or device Cingualr migrated them over to their computer system, you can keep your exisiting plan as long as you do not make any changes to your account, once you decide to make a chnage you will have to be migrated to the Cingular computer system, which means a new plan. They really are two different computer systems.

David