Old Cellphone contacts and SIM cards

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
Sorry if this has already been answer or is available on Apple.com or something, but I've search and been unable to find anything.

The iPhone faq says...

Can I transfer contacts from my current mobile phone to my new iPhone?
Yes. You should first transfer all your contact information to Microsoft Outlook on a PC or Address Book or Entourage on a Mac. Then you can sync your iPhone with your computer to put your contacts into your iPhone.

First off this seems like a lot of work which I want to avoid. I don't feel like spending what will probably be an hour or more typing in phone numbers and such on my windows address book.

So my question is, is it possible to but in the old sim card, transfer all the old contact info from the old cell's sim to the iPhones hard drive then pop in the sim card the iPhone comes with and have everything be a ok?

Seems like that should work, but if that much simplier solution worked why wouldn't Apple say so? I was wondering if anyone knew anything concrete.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Sorry if this has already been answer or is available on Apple.com or something, but I've search and been unable to find anything.

The iPhone faq says...

First off this seems like a lot of work which I want to avoid. I don't feel like spending what will probably be an hour or more typing in phone numbers and such on my windows address book.

So my question is, is it possible to but in the old sim card, transfer all the old contact info from the old cell's sim to the iPhones hard drive then pop in the sim card the iPhone comes with and have everything be a ok?

Seems like that should work, but if that much simplier solution worked why wouldn't Apple say so? I was wondering if anyone knew anything concrete.

If you don't want to xfer them to your computer, you will have to pay AT&T. They have a machine that will take them off the sim card and onto a thumbdrive (costs $15). Then you can import your from the thumbdrive to the computer, then to the iPhone. The iPhone doesn't read SIM contacts.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Almost all modern phones can sync to a computer. Check your phones manufacturers website for the software. You may need a special cable though. othwerise visit your mobile service providers store and ask them to export the contacts to a text file for you. Then you can inport your contacts to Outlook, Entourage, etc and syc to your iPhone.

- SR