[OLD] How to save 35% on the new iPhone using msn live

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
upgrading...but it is completely misleading for them to have that on there for any purchase from AT&T and then not give it to us...
And i wish iGal would have said something about that earlier...
I'm sorry, but how would I have known anything about that? I disclaimed that I am not affiliated with Apple, AT&T -OR- bing. All I knew was that a friend of mine did this (with an upgrade, nonetheless), and it worked, plus the same thing everyone else sees. I'm not some bing.com expert, it was just something I ran across and wanted to share.

But you can bet your buttons I wouldn't again... next time I would just try it myself and not mention the possibility to anyone else. I find it pretty silly how much annoyance/disappointment/etc. was directed my way given the info I disclosed (not being an insider, just a person who ran across it myself).

Geez louise!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm sorry, but how would I have known anything about that? I disclaimed that I am not affiliated with Apple, AT&T -OR- bing. All I knew was that a friend of mine did this (with an upgrade, nonetheless), and it worked, plus the same thing everyone else sees. I'm not some bing.com expert, it was just something I ran across and wanted to share.

But you can bet your buttons I wouldn't again... next time I would just try it myself and not mention the possibility to anyone else.
Although it didn't work for me, I still thank you for the idea. Don't let less thankful posters keep you from making great contributions to EIC. It's having posters like you, you try their best to make a contribution useful to our community as a whole, that make EIC the great place it is.

Thank you again for the attempt. It could only help. :)

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Although it didn't work for me, I still thank you for the idea. Don't let less thankful posters keep you from making great contributions to EIC. It's having posters like you, you try their best to make a contribution useful to our community as a whole, that make EIC the great place it is.

Thank you again for the attempt. It could only help. :)
Thanks, Eragon. That helps.

It's hard not to get frustrated by getting such negative responses to something like this, especially speculation surrounding my "disappearance" - not everyone who posts here can make the time to check back constantly.

I did what I could. Next time I run across something like this, I really will post and run... better to not even read the backlash from disappointed posters, that results through no fault of my own.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks, Eragon. That helps.

It's hard not to get frustrated by getting such negative responses to something like this, especially speculation surrounding my "disappearance" - not everyone who posts here can make the time to check back constantly.

I did what I could. Next time I run across something like this, I really will post and run... better to not even read the backlash from disappointed posters, that results through no fault of my own.
I hope not. All I have to do is look at the date you joined the forum, the fact that you have not over posted your status, and the quality of your original post to know that your posts/threads have credibility.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
how do you make a pdf?
I'm not 100% positive if it's the same on a PC, but on a mac you just have to go to File -> Print, then in the popup window click "PDF" in the bottom left corner, select "Save as PDF" from the drop-down menu, then save it to your destination folder (Desktop is easiest, generally speaking).

nbviper

Bronze
Jan 20, 2009
MA
On the PC, you can use a free program called PrimoPDF. It creates a virtual printer than you print your document to.

JPSwartz1

Bronze
Apr 19, 2009
Colorado Baby!
Well, i hope it continues to work for some, but this is what i just received from Bing.

"After researching your merchant order confirmation email, I see this device was listed as an upgrade. Unfortunately, per the AT&T MSN cashback Rewards Terms and Conditions, section iii (a), items considered to be an upgrade, are not eligible for cashback rewards. We are very sorry for any disappointment this may have caused you.

I am providing the AT&T MSN cashback Rewards Terms & Conditions link below:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/sharedSegments/MSN-termsConditions.jsp"

I purchased a 32gb for my wife who didn't have an iPhone, so not sure how its an upgrade.

nbviper

Bronze
Jan 20, 2009
MA
Well, i hope it continues to work for some, but this is what i just received from Bing.

"After researching your merchant order confirmation email, I see this device was listed as an upgrade. Unfortunately, per the AT&T MSN cashback Rewards Terms and Conditions, section iii (a), items considered to be an upgrade, are not eligible for cashback rewards. We are very sorry for any disappointment this may have caused you.

I am providing the AT&T MSN cashback Rewards Terms & Conditions link below:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/sharedSegments/MSN-termsConditions.jsp"

I purchased a 32gb for my wife who didn't have an iPhone, so not sure how its an upgrade.
Sounds like your confirmation email must have stated "upgrade" on it. I just looked at mine and nothing distinguishes it from a new phone purchase.

kunal_07

Bronze
Mar 16, 2009
Mine doesn't, either.
My confirmation very clearly in bold says that it is an upgrade. This is the same mail that I had copy pasted to the Bing customer service to tell them that I hadnt received the cashback. In reply, the rep credited my account with the cashback

As for it voilating the TOS, I don't think that is possible now because the rep CLEARLY saw it was an upgrade and still gave me the cashback. Further I contacted ATT as well to ask if I was eligible for the cashback, what they said was that they had no idea and that I should contact ATT. So I think ATT in no way would send bing that ours is not eligible, the fact they do not know of it.

S3th13

May 19, 2009
Mine clearly states

"Voice Plan
Nation FamilyTalk Additional Line
$9.99"

and the rep also approved my cashback. I hope it doesn't become invalid.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Mine says:

Line 1 (Firstname Lastname (555)555-5555)
Phone Apple iPhone 3G S - 16 GB - White $199.00
Features Data Plan for iPhone $30.00
iPhone Text Messaging 200 $5.00

*Order Total $199.00
* Amount excludes taxes. Applicable sales taxes will be added to this total.

I am upgrading from a V1 iPhone that I've had since July '07, for reference.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida

But you can bet your buttons I wouldn't again... next time I would just try it myself and not mention the possibility to anyone else. I find it pretty silly how much annoyance/disappointment/etc. was directed my way given the info I disclosed (not being an insider, just a person who ran across it myself).

Geez louise!
The only aggravation was that you seemingly left the thread when things weren't working. I know now by your PM that was not the case. Was not trying to put blame on you and didn't mean any offense. I just thought you may have known more than you let on. My apologies if you felt otherwise.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Mine did not say upgrade either. And I sent the PDF file to them in order to get cashback. I hope that it does not get removed either.

To make a PDF, download PrimoPDF and install. Then, on whatever you want to PDF, go to File --> Print

When choosing your printer, choose to "print" to the PrimoPDF. This will make a PDF for you.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
The only aggravation was that you seemingly left the thread when things weren't working. I know now by your PM that was not the case. Was not trying to put blame on you and didn't mean any offense. I just thought you may have known more than you let on. My apologies if you felt otherwise.
I just think that that's a pretty big leap to take. I posted only a handful of times within a single day, to follow up in the beginning of my thread and make sure I'd communicated all I knew.

The following is not directed specifically at you:
Besides, it's not like I was trying to 'sell' people on it, I just found something cool, thought it could potentially be helpful to many people (jury's still out on that, I suppose), and tried to pass it along. If I had "known more than I let on," why would I want to mislead people? What on earth would have been the point?

It's extremely disappointing to take the time to post something, along with some helpful step-by-step screenshots, with nothing but good intentions... and come back to see people accusing me of 'ducking out' or alluding to my having misled people.

I mean, if I'd registered that same day, only posted the OP, and never returned... then sure, be suspicious and call foul. But given that I've been registered for 2 years, have contributed 100+ posts (not a sizable number by a long shot, but not troll-status either), and post in an overall honest and helpful matter - come on, now. SHEESH, is all I can say about that.

Trnsilver, I do thank you for the clarification and apology, though the assumption was uncalled for in the first place.

JPSwartz1

Bronze
Apr 19, 2009
Colorado Baby!
Sounds like your confirmation email must have stated "upgrade" on it. I just looked at mine and nothing distinguishes it from a new phone purchase.

Your right, it did say upgrade. I just edited the "upgrade" out of the pdf and resent it, maybe Bing doesn't keep good records and will treat it as a new inquiry!

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I made my purchase through bing last week. I did a new phone purcahse, not an upgrade as I have a buyer for my 3g, and they will b taking over the last year of the contract.

I did not see my cashback for two days, and as it states on their site, if you don't see it after two days contact them; because sometimes retailers take longer to notify them that there is cashback earned.

I now have $104 pending in my cashback account at Bing, as they looked into the issue and cleared it up. Apparently ATT does have to authorize that your purchase was directed through their search engine.

The only thing is that my available date for the cashback is stated August 10th, almost 2 months away. I'm not sure why the time, unless they want to make sure that you keep the purcahse past 30 days.