Old iPhones Everywhere!

Dukeboy0169

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
If you check out Craigslist, theres tons of people asking to buy first gen iPhones. Theres also a ton of old iPhones on ebay. Im wondering why.

Now my initial guess is because you can unlock the original iPhones and use them with services other than AT&T. But is that the sole reason why so many people are willing to pay upwards of $400?

When you unlock the phone and use it with another carrier, do all the features still work perfectly? Like text messaging?

Please give me the scoop.

Thanks!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
They also want the cheaper data plan @ $20/mo. If I were in the market today, I would be scoping out first gens for the very same reason.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
But yes, all the other features work..except YouTube and Visual Voicemail..I think..

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
But yes, all the other features work..except YouTube and Visual Voicemail..I think..
What if you have AT&T and a iPhone and you buy a used iPhone on cl can you pop your sim card in it and everything still work the same (intill 3g comes out. from what i read)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What if you have AT&T and a iPhone and you buy a used iPhone on cl can you pop your sim card in it and everything still work the same (intill 3g comes out. from what i read)
Youll have to reactivate it and restore(i think) through iTunes.

wendycharles

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
iTunes should recognize your sim card. Im not sure about the 2 year contract.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
With a 2 year contract?
Your contract should stay the same I think...I think all you need to do is that so then the iPhone thinks that the sim card you put in is the correct one and will activate. I don't think you will have to redo or restart your contract.