Old Phone Won't Boot Up

jerrysha

Feb 29, 2008
I have an original iPhone. I just bought the new 3gs. I hooked my old phone up to my computer and did all the upgrades and backups before hooking up my new phone. All went well EXCEPT I want to give the old phone to my 4 year old grand son to play with and it will not boot up. The Apple logo comes up and the status bar comes up but it will not continue. Here is what I have tried to do so far.
1. Press and hold both buttons to reboot.
2. Plugged it in to a power adapter and did the above.
3. Reconnected it to my computer and restored the phone to the original settings.
Still won't come up. Any suggestions other than smashing it with a hammer?
Thanks,
Jerry

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
Did you restore via iTunes?

jerrysha

Feb 29, 2008
I did everything by the book. When every thing finished it said I can now unplug my phone from the computer. Where and when would I have been asked to do that? I have four iPhones and have never had this problem before.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
when you boot it up, you say that there is a status bar... on normal bootup, there isn't a status bar to show you the progression of the boot, well there isn't in 3.0 at least.

How long have you left the iPhone for at boot?

When you restored, did iTunes ask if you wanted to restore the phone from backup or start afresh?

jerrysha

Feb 29, 2008
I think you are correct about the status bar. I'm going to turn on my other old phone tonight to be sure. Everything still works on that one except it's not a phone anymore.
Do you mean how long have I waited for the phone to boot back up. At lease a half hour.
I did the restore from a back up. Maybe I should try afresh you think?

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I think you are correct about the status bar. I'm going to turn on my other old phone tonight to be sure. Everything still works on that one except it's not a phone anymore.
Do you mean how long have I waited for the phone to boot back up. At lease a half hour.
I did the restore from a back up. Maybe I should try afresh you think?
Yeah, try afresh, it should clear all the problems, and provide you with a fresh, new, handsome, beautiful iPhone.

jerrysha

Feb 29, 2008
Yep. That worked. Thank you. Everything is gone but that is better since we are not going to use the phone anyway. I was thinking of giving it to my niece.
Jerry

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I'm glad it works now, and I hope your niece enjoys his/her new toy! :p