Old SIM, new iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
I have a new iPhone that I have placed my old iPhone sim into the new iPhone.

Now to activate the new iPhone, I don't want a new AT&T account of course. How do I activate my new iPhone with my old account info? Connecting to iTunes, it looks like it will set up a new account. If I go through the setup, will it set up a new account or use my old one?

Thanks

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have a new iPhone that I have placed my old iPhone sim into the new iPhone.

Now to activate the new iPhone, I don't want a new AT&T account of course. How do I activate my new iPhone with my old account info? Connecting to iTunes, it looks like it will set up a new account. If I go through the setup, will it set up a new account or use my old one?

Thanks
You'll have to select your phone number in the setup process. You'll be setting up an iPhone on an existing account and using your existing number.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I had the same problem when I got a replacement phone from Apple. Something went wrong and it RE-CREATED my account (ATT) over my present account. I was with the Apple care rep all the time while I was doing this and he told me to go ahead and do whatever it was asking.

As ColsTiger mentioned, you gotto activate it through your present number and probably you will end up activating you phone as you did when you first activated your iPhone. Not sure whats wrong and the Apple rep told me that they will look into this issue asap.

In addition, I am assuming that you have done a backup of your old iPhone. If you had done the backup, this should not have happened. As soon as you hook up a new iPhone, it should recognize that you have a backup and prompt you to restore to the last backup point.

Finally, when I re-activated my phone, at this point it asked me whether I want to restore to a previous backup point and I said yes. This finally restored my phone as it was earlier.