Old Touch to New Touch transfer?

cassi

Jun 28, 2008
I am selling my 8gb and would like to transfer all the info to my new 16gb and then delete all user and other infor from the old Touch.

Could someone tell me the best way to do this? Words of one-syllable or blonde translation would be great:oops:

cassi

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
In terms of getting all your contacts / photos sort of info onto the new device, if you are currently syncing successfuly with iTunes, then you should be pretty set - iTunes should sync all across to your new one - though it is always going to be worth confirming this of course.

As for wiping your data from the old one, depends on what your deadline is for selling. If possible, it might be worth waiting for the iPhone 2.0 software update to come out (by 7/11) as it will include an ability to securely wipe all data, which the current software does not. So if you want / need a truly secure wipe on existing software, it requires jailbreak and a lot more manual labor than it will on 2.0 ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
but he's on a touch, so he'd have to pay $10 for the 2.0 software. Still worth it, in my view, if you've got personal data on your ipod... then you could use it as a selling point too.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
but he's on a touch, so he'd have to pay $10 for the 2.0 software. Still worth it, in my view, if you've got personal data on your ipod... then you could use it as a selling point too.
True, I'd forgotten that when writing. And yeah, maybe worth the expense for the time saved on secure wipe - *if* the secure part is a concern in this case ...

cassi

Jun 28, 2008
True, I'd forgotten that when writing. And yeah, maybe worth the expense for the time saved on secure wipe - *if* the secure part is a concern in this case ...
It's going to my daughter so security is not such an issue and giving her a clean device to start with. Our taste in music is way different - she's a little bit country and I'm a little bit rock & roll:laugh2:

How will my iTunes account know that the old Ipod info should go to the new Ipod?

Thanks for all the help

cassi

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you just have to tell iTunes to Sync the same playlists, pictures, contacts, etc to the new ipod...