oldschool IM Forwarding stopped working

elkay

Aug 29, 2007
Torrington, CT
Anyone else have this issue? Since they launched the 3.0 OS, AIM IM Forwarding has ceased to work. It's been set up the same for 2 years through the original and 3G phone with no changes and worked fine until now. I put the new AIM app on the phone but it will only let you stay signed in for 24 hours and you also have to manually sign in and out of it otherwise you get duplicate IMs to your desktop and phone. Having to remember to sign in every day to keep yourself alive on the AIM network is also a pain. The old solution was very seamless and I really, really want to get that functionality back. I've tried all the usual things from toggling the IM Forwarding setting back and forth, to deleting and readding the device in AIM Mobile. I even tried adding it as a non-iphone device.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
So you want your IM's forwarded to a text message on your phone? If I understand you correctly, you need to set AIM on your phone to sign out immediately, and make sure you number is on the aim.com mobile site. Test it out by using an alternative AIM account and seeing if there is a picture of a phone next to your original s/n.

elkay

Aug 29, 2007
Torrington, CT
Correct, that's how I've had it set up and working just fine for the past 2 years (even across to a new phone when I switched to the 3G). Suddenly about a week ago, my dad told me he was IMing me and getting responses back that I wasn't available (he's technologically impaired and just leaves IM windows open and so didn't realize it meant I was just offline). If I'm not signed into a desktop client I'm just flat out offline instead of the usual mobile icon (had also already tested this with a second account as you said). As also stated, I've toggled IM Forwarding off/on and even redid the phone account and successfuly received the 4 digit text message confirmation. I've also set the mobile AIM client to Immediate as stated. As of right now, it's still not working.