OLED Rumor

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
When I first heard about the new iPhone getting an OLED screen, I didn't really see it happening due to price. I mean, those 11 inch OLED TVs are like $2000. But then I searched newegg to see what comes up and found this. If cowon can make a 16GB mp4 player for about $200, then why cant Apple do the same? If the the iPhone did get an OLED screen it would confirm the increase in battery life because OLED screens use less power than any other type of display.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When I first heard about the new iPhone getting an OLED screen, I didn't really see it happening due to price. I mean, those 11 inch OLED TVs are like $2000. But then I searched newegg to see what comes up and found this. If cowon can make a 16GB mp4 player for about $200, then why cant Apple do the same? If the the iPhone did get an OLED screen it would confirm the increase in battery life because OLED screens use less power than any other type of display.

Not to mention the new HD Multi-Touch Zune that was just announced. It comes with an OLED screen.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Not to mention the new HD Multi-Touch Zune that was just announced. It comes with an OLED screen.
Good point. I don't keep up on the zune info :eek:

May 6, 2007
United States
In fact, OLEDs are apparently pretty cheap to apply because of the technique they use to "print" them.

Overall, it would probably be pretty good for quality, cost, and obviously battery life.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we see some OLED iPhones.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I am doubtful, but if they did use OLED's we should see a noticeably better battery life. The OLED screen is not only low on power consumption, they are thinner and could allow for a bigger battery.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Wait, now there is a chinese whole sale of new iPhone screens and it says LCD:
http://gizmodo.com/5271696/next+gen...vealed-by-chinese-wholesaler?skyline=true&s=x

Of course it could be fake.
Yeah we found this a while back on the next gen iPhone thread, but it just recently resurfaced because of gizmodo. That's why I'm doubtful of an OLED. Maybe next year we'll se OLED. Or the new iPod touch will have OLED to compete with the zune. Could you imagine how thin a touch could be with a screen that thin.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Well call it a rumor but i did say in some other thread that at such a small size the OLED screens arent that hard or expensive to print and make. Its when they are needed for larger TV's thats when prices jump. Im pretty sure a trickle down effect will happen.

If Apple puts them in the new iPhone, new iPod touch then moves them throughout all their products Macs, and even displays included the cost of them will go down and this is just for Apple. Imagine the rest of the computer market using flat screen OLED screens. With so many at 15/17/20 inches they will get cheaper in the long run.

If they market gets flooded with enough small OLED screens then buying the 42" TV wont be in the 9 grand bracket anymore. Lol...

energie

Sep 13, 2008
If it has OLED I'll truly be impressed, but honestly, it sounds like incentive to upgrade to next years refresh. It is definitely more expensive (even if it's only marginally more pricer), and since they already have so many guaranteed sales as soon as it comes out, they have no reason to spend the extra on it.

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Organic Light Emitting Diode -any light emitting diode (LED) whose emissive electroluminescent layer is composed of a film of organic compounds. The layer usually contains a polymer substance that allows suitable organic compounds to be deposited. They are deposited in rows and columns onto a flat carrier by a simple "printing" process. The resulting matrix of pixels can emit light of different colors.

That would be the technical definition but basically it is the future. Right now it's biggest drawback is the poor performance when used outdoors. On the current phones with OLED people complain because it is so bad and I think that right there is why Apple won't use it.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
If it has OLED I'll truly be impressed, but honestly, it sounds like incentive to upgrade to next years refresh. It is definitely more expensive (even if it's only marginally more pricer), and since they already have so many guaranteed sales as soon as it comes out, they have no reason to spend the extra on it.
It can't be that much more. Look at the mp4 players I posted for the same price as the iPhone...and those aren't subsidized prices.
The incentive to use OLED would be better battery life and better looking screen.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
And the site that leaked the 'LCD screen' and bezel charged twice as much for the 3rd gen screen compared to the 1st and 2nd gen models. I read that the price being twice as much could have to do with the screen being an OLED since they are about twice as much as LCD. Not only would we get a better battery just from the OLED using very little power, but they are thin screens which would allow for them to squeeze a little more battery into the case. If they used the same technology for the iPhone battery as the macbook pro battery we would see an improvement just from that, so lets hope for that and an OLED for the best battery we've ever had in an iPhone and hopefully better than any other phone.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The OLED is cheap to make at a mobile phone size. The printing process takes a lot and is expensive the larger the screen.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I guess we'll find out soon enough.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
It's kind of sad but I'm looking forward mostly to the rear Apple Logo illuminating if that rumor holds true from what I've seen. That would look pretty damn sexy in the dark with a matte finish backing and no chrome bezel.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
It's kind of sad but I'm looking forward mostly to the rear Apple Logo illuminating if that rumor holds true from what I've seen. That would look pretty damn sexy in the dark with a matte finish backing and no chrome bezel.
I hope you're joking

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol, Hope for this feauture?... then complain about horrid battery life.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
There is no reason why we can't have a glowing logo and good battery life. I mean LED's are not known to be power hogs you know? :laugh2:

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Right... But does the rest of the simple minded world know that?

Im pretty sure the battery life complaint will start up again. What makes me upset is that people are complaining for nothing. The battery in the v1 iPhone could keep a RAZR alive for weeks.

The batteries are suited for the demands of the device. The iPhone guzzles power and data like a game of hungry hippos. People should be happy that the iPhone does this well with todays batt tech.