Oleophobic screen: TOO slippery?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I have noticed that i am making more typing errors on the 3GS than i did with my v1+crystal shield. I think it's because when i'm typing my thumbs are slightly sliding while they are in contact with the screen, and then activate the key next to the one i intended to hit.

has anyone else noticed this, or is it all in my head?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I went from a V1 naked to the 3Gs and have not noticed a difference. Maybe it is just in your head!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I am loving typing on the new screen. The coating just feels like you're typing on air, and the processor actually keeps up with you. It probably does take a bit of getting used to, but I got no complaints.

Anyone notice that Safari and other scrolling apps seem to have an extra "flick level" at the top end? I'm constantly overshooting the mark these days when scrolling, and it seems to me they've tweaked it to make it easier to scroll to the bottom of a webpage with fast flicks.

Mr5150

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I've noticed that I make more mistakes in landscape mode now that I've spent 2 years in portrait... kinda funny :)

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I have noticed that i am making more typing errors on the 3GS than i did with my v1+crystal shield. I think it's because when i'm typing my thumbs are slightly sliding while they are in contact with the screen, and then activate the key next to the one i intended to hit.

My typing has improved...

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i love the new oleophobic screen coating. it is a little bit more slippery than the 3G screen, but that is because it doesn't hold the oil which gives friction. has anyone used iKlear to clean their screens? is it ok to use? I figure it is because it has no chemicals at all.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
i love it i owned a v1 for about 6 months before and i love the screen compared to the other. Typing is great I love this phone.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I love this screen! I am no longer afraid that the oleo will wear off. I just don't see it happening. This screen is the best! I also decided not to cover it with any screen protector like I did my 3G. I will be careful with it. The challenge will be this winter though. I'll have to come up with something.

I can not believe how awesome this phone is! It is waaay better than the 3G. I'm glad I got it!

Oh, so to answer your question, No. I don't think the screen is too slippery. I'm not having any problems with it at all. I's just awesome!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The coating is incredible. I use it at work where I get dirty all day, and with the 3G my screen looked like I rubbed butter all over it. With the 3GS I never, I mean never, have to wipe it clean. It's unbelievable. Is it magic? :p

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
The new screen is fantastic. I've always put covers on my device screens, but I haven't yet. I'm torn because I really want to protect the screen but it works so well I don't want to cover it!

ufcollins

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Jacksonville
I've heard that Apple recommends not putting one on the 3GS. I wouldn't, especially if it meant covering this beauty of a gem. It's phenomenol. No matter how greasy or nasty your screen is, it all disappears and becomes like new with one wipe from your shirt. Amazing.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
What ACH said.
I believe my errors are also compounded by the fact that I had Vibrus installed on my v1 which gave a haptic feedback and greatly improved my typing. Without that feedback, typing feels very strange and "floaty" on the 3GS. Oddly enough, The oleomajiggy coating makes typing on the 3GS quite a joy and my re-learning curve isn't so bad.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas

Nice theory. I believe it is all in your head.:laugh2:

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I must be a greaseball as I find the oleophobic screen more slip-resistant.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I must be a greaseball as I find the oleophobic screen more slip-resistant.
Do you realize what you said? Yes it is more slip-resistant. It is supposed to be. The more I use it, the more I love it!

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Do you realize what you said? Yes it is more slip-resistant. It is supposed to be. The more I use it, the more I love it!
...um... that was the joke

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Everyone says they will not be using screen protectors with this screen. But. I already have small scratches that you can only see in the light and I take insane good care of my iPhones for the last 3 years and never any scrathes. And this one scratches the first 3 days. This coating scratches easily. I just bought a screen protector today.